Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 3.0.1->4.0.2 failing

Default Upgrade 3.0.1->4.0.2 failing

Today I tried to upgrade my server (on OS X 10.4 non-intel) and, well, blew things up. The installer seems to run without issue, but when I try to run zmsetup.pl, I get:

gizmo:/opt/zimbra root# libexec/zmsetup.pl
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.2945
    Checking java version...1.5 found
    Setting defaults...Setting defaults from existing config...Warning: null valued key 'mysql_logger_root_password'
    Done
    Upgrading from 3.0.1_GA_160 to 4.0.2_GA_362
    Thu Sep 28 18:21:42 2006: Stopping zimbra services
    Thu Sep 28 18:21:57 2006: Starting mysql
    UPGRADE FAILED - exiting

There does't seem to be any more detail or information forthcoming anywhere. I'd appreciate any direction the community can give, as I'm dead in the water right now and probably soon to be more dead when my wife tries to check her mail...

Looks like the zimbra-core postupgrade script failed to restore the localconfig. You can copy the following script into a file and execute it. It will restore your zmlocalconfig to what it was prior to the upgrade. After you run this you'll need to rerun zmsetup.pl and the upgrade should continue.

#!/bin/bash
    while read i; do
    su - zimbra -c "zmlocalconfig -f -e $i"
    done < /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save

langthang Guest

I've seen the same error upgrading from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2 ... start sshd will let it went through.

HTH

Brian,

How long should that script take to execute? It seems like it's been hanging for a while now. I'm assuming I should run it as root from /opt/zimbra/libexec?

As far as the "start sshd" suggestion, I'm pretty sure it's already running. Do I need to restart something?

Well, I've tried all of the suggestions above and nothing is any different. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Brian

It looks like perhaps the install script didn't grab the sql password, or your password was out of sync to begin with.

Did you try resetting the sql password?

Also, I assume you ran the zmsetup.pl script because mysql wasn't starting, correct?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wannabetenor
    It looks like perhaps the install script didn't grab the sql password, or your password was out of sync to begin with.

Did you try resetting the sql password?

Also, I assume you ran the zmsetup.pl script because mysql wasn't starting, correct?

I did try to reset the SQL password, using the instructions in the "Resetting LDAP & MySQL Passwords" Wiki. However, when I try to connect to the database (mysql mysl -P 7306) I get:

gizmo:~ zimbra$ mysql mysql -P 7306
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'zimbra'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

The whole SQL situation seems strange. I don't recall ever doing any password maintenance on this particular system, and it doesn't run anything but ZCS.

I don't know about original state. Actually, I ran the zmsetup.pl script because the upgrade directions told me to.

Default I give up...

I've tried everything I can think of, am getting nowhere, and losing my patience fast. If I were to try to set up a new installation on some non-OSX platform, is there a chance I'd be able to migrate the mail that was living on this server? I love ZCS, but can't live with an application I can't administer and based on a few of the other threads I've seen on the forum, I think a move to a linux box may be my last hope.

Quote Originally Posted by bsb
    I've tried everything I can think of, am getting nowhere, and losing my patience fast. If I were to try to set up a new installation on some non-OSX platform, is there a chance I'd be able to migrate the mail that was living on this server?
    Well, the problem you're having is not specific to OSX. I'm using Linux (CentOS), and running into the same problem as yourself.

I did successfully upgrade from 3.0.1 to 4.0.0, I'm seeing the problem when going from 4.0.0 to either 4.0.1 or 4.0.2.

It's possible there's some sort of artifact from 3.0.1 that's causing the issue, I dunno. I'm pretty stuck myself on this.

However, what to do from here... I mean, yes, you can setup another installation, whether on OSX or Linux, and migrate the mail using something like imapsync. That doesn't move the calendars, but perhaps that'll do what you need.

Good luck,
    -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by bsb
    I've tried everything I can think of, am getting nowhere, and losing my patience fast. If I were to try to set up a new installation on some non-OSX platform, is there a chance I'd be able to migrate the mail that was living on this server? I love ZCS, but can't live with an application I can't administer and based on a few of the other threads I've seen on the forum, I think a move to a linux box may be my last hope.
    Actually, I think I caught a really subtle bug in Brian's script above. Instead of what he has, try this:
    Code:
     #!/bin/bash
     while read i; do
     echo $i
     su - zimbra -c "zmlocalconfig -f -e '$i'"
     done < /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save
    The two differences are:

1) It's more vocal about what it's doing -- which doesn't solve the problem directly, but if it's hanging, you'd see where

2) I added ' chars around the $i. Since the zmlocalconfig contains values that are variables.. along the lines of "$zimbra_home" or whatever, it's being incorrectly interpreted by the shell. The ' chars will prevent that.

In addition to the above, I noticed that zimbra_uid and zimbra_gid were being incorrectly set.

So, in general, I just ran 'zmlocalconfig' on it's own, did a sanity check, and discovered that it indeed was not sane :-) How it got that way, I still can't tell... I can reproduce it every time with this installation.

But, to fix it, I run zmlocalconfig on the working installation (ie, the live box, you're testing this in development, right? ;-) -- copy that over to the test box, sanitize the information, run it all through zmlocalconfig (using the script above), and then continue the installation with zmsetup.pl.

Hope that helps,
    -Eric