Thread: installation of zimbra on XP SP2

Default installation of zimbra on XP SP2

Found a post that stated zimbra didn't work on windows, now i see the website states that it does, but what do i do to install zimbra, didn't find any .exe and i've never used linux so wouldn't know about that kind of installation

any help please

if you download the source, you will find details on how to install it located in a file called, ZimbraServer/docs/INSTALL.txt. this details what packages are required and how to install them (in very general terms) on windows. there is the notable lack however of the Mail-Transfer-Agent [MTA] Postfix because this hasn't been ported to windows. good luck and if you do get it working please post details to the forum, so others can give it a try on windows.

ok, found the install text and says to install files from
    http:\\kenny\Public\software\windows, this brings me to the web page of kenny chesney???
    Even the instructions for mac installation lead to the same website.

And i don't find any kenny folder within the zimbra folders. The whole package looks impressive from the demo, but it's not gonna win any fans if its so hard to install...
    Any other tips for me

Default heh

kenny is our internal file server here at Zimbra. See what joshuamorgan said "instructions are in very generic terms." It is non-obvious stuff - but a lot of people have figured out where to get software pieces mentioned in that document and piece it together.

so, you really need to be a detective also to be able to run the program, what's wrong with making it simple. I know about computers but i'm not too hot on programming. So i need to search the zimbra site for kenny?? or something relating to that??

thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by pakolainen
    so, you really need to be a detective also to be able to run the program, what's wrong with making it simple. I know about computers but i'm not too hot on programming. So i need to search the zimbra site for kenny?? or something relating to that??
    Actually, you don't have to be a detective to run the program.

The documentation states that Zimbra is supported on Fedora Core 3, and RedHat Enterprise 4. And there, all you have to do to install it is type "./install.sh", it's easy.

The very fact that they even bother to mention that someone could possibly get it running on other distros, let alone other operating systems, just goes to show how much they're trying to work with the community and help us out. Most companies would have stopped at my first sentence above -- "it works on FC3 and RHEL4, period."

Their primary concern is getting features into it, so that it works *well* on FC3 and RHEL4. At some point when they can manage to spare resources, they'll make it run on other Linux distros. And down the road, maybe they'll make a Windows installer for it. In the meantime, in between adding features, they've been kind enough to provide some insight to those who are seeking to run it on other platforms.... some of those trying are savvy enough to get it working, and with luck would report back here how to make it work.

But today, if you don't consider yourself a programmer, don't blame them for being a young company who has only released a beta version of their product. They'll get around to it. Put in a feature request for it to run on Windows, and in the meantime, install FC3 or RHEL4 and try Zimbra out there, that's where it's supported.
    -Eric

Default Why would you want to.....

......run Zimbra on a Windows XP box??

I, for the life of me, cannot figure that out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pakolainen
    Found a post that stated zimbra didn't work on windows, now i see the website states that it does....
    pakolainen, could you please indicate where on the site you saw this? It might be there, I just couldn't find it, and want to make sure we have the correct information there. Thank you.

i also searched the site for that post, to clarify it but couldn't find it so it may have been on another site. But i don't remember which.

Guess after all of this i'll wait for the nice people to migrate zimbra into a windows app.

Thanks for all replies to which probably seems a dumb question now.

Ciao

Default Running Zimbra on a Windows Box

This is all (obviously) completely unsupported, but....

It can *sort of* be done, but it definitely isn't a supported or easy config. You'll need to build it from source. You'll have to find and install Tomcat (put it in \opt\zimbra\tomcat: it will make your life much easier) and OpenLDAP (\opt\zimbra\openldap) and MySQL -- and configure them (e.g. MySQL has to be listening on 7306, I believe). You'll also need the JDK 1.4 or 1.5.

After that you'll need to setup the LDAP and SQL scehmas -- look at build.xml in the ZimbraServer directory. Several of the devs do run the server under windows: the "reset-the-world" Ant target is a good place to start.

....Now for the catch. There is no PostFix port for Windows (at least to my knowlege) and you can't do a whole lot without an MTA. The server talks LMTP (on port 7025) -- but I don't know of any free MTAs for Windows that can use LMTP for delivery. We have some hacks that devs use internally, but none of them are suitable for any kind of a production environment, unfortunately (a quck and dirty hack can be accomplished in Perl, use
    Net::LMTP and Net::SMTP::Server).

--tim