Thread: new to ZCS.. just two questions basic install

Default new to ZCS.. just two questions basic install

So here it goes:

Does one have to use the ZCS email server? Or can the MTA be set up in such a way as to use existing IMAP accounts on a external server?

Also if I do choose to go with ZCS email, is there imap acces to it?

I am evaluating open source/development groupware solutions for my practice, and really like what I read so far about Zimbra. I have spent two weeks setting up OGO and did it successfully. But now its time to try somthing else and compare. The documentation already was a pleasure to read and know it exists for ZCS I like the idea of Open Source, because I don't mind getting rid of Outlook. We run exchange 2003 right now.

-Thank you!

Default Imap

I'm not sure about the MTA question, but I can definitely say you can use IMAP with the ZCS mailbox servers.

Quote Originally Posted by sewerynb
    Does one have to use the ZCS email server? Or can the MTA be set up in such a way as to use existing IMAP accounts on a external server?
    Yes, currently Zimbra uses it's own postfix MTA. Some users have some configs that include fetchmail that will go out an grab e-mail using account aggrigation.

Also if I do choose to go with ZCS email, is there imap acces to it?
    ZCS includes all of the features that you would expect to find on exchange such as POP3, IMAP, and on the network edition a MAPI connector. The OSS edition also includes the ability to add Class of Service(s), so that some users can have external pop/imap access, while restricting others.

I am evaluating open source/development groupware solutions for my practice, and really like what I read so far about Zimbra. I have spent two weeks setting up OGO and did it successfully. But now its time to try somthing else and compare. The documentation already was a pleasure to read and know it exists for ZCS I like the idea of Open Source, because I don't mind getting rid of Outlook. We run exchange 2003 right now.
    I ran exchange since the 90's. In my opinion Exchange is dead. There really isn't much more they can do with it because of how closed it is. Every once in a while, they will change the positions of icons, and add new icons, but it's mostly still the same.

The great thing about ZCS is that it is activly being developed with the latest technologies. It's a sort of "Best of Open Source Mashup".

-Thank you!
    You Welcome!
    Last edited by jholder; 10-12-2006 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabetenor
    Yes, currently Zimbra uses it's own postfix MTA. Some users have some configs that include fetchmail that will go out an grab e-mail using account aggrigation.

ZCS includes all of the features that you would expect to find on exchange such as POP3, IMAP, and on the network edition a MAPI connector. The OSS edition also includes the ability to add Class of Service(s), so that some users can have external pop/imap access, while restricting others.

I ran exchange since the 90's. In my opinion Exchange is dead. There really isn't much more they can do with it because of how closed it is. Every once in a while, they will change the positions of icons, and add new icons, but it's mostly still the same.

The great thing about ZCS is that it is activly being developed with the latest technologies. It's a sort of "Best of Open Source Mashup".

You Welcome!

I appreciate such a kind and prompt response. I will be busing installing a fresh FC5 tonight and loading zimbra. It seems that honestly the best thing to do is isntall FC5 with just the basics. The Gui's(GNOME is my fav) and no web development or server options. Or are there some libraries I should include?

Also any tips when installing behind a firewall/NAT box other then correctly forwarding ports to the correct IP?

silly me. I found the answers by using the mighty search.