Hi,

This post refers to the Guide: "http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Ubuntu_8.04_LTS_Server_%28Hardy_Heron%29_Install_G uide"

As I have tested and seen in more than few forum this Guide drives you easily to fail in the instalation of Zimbra. I have folllow carefully every step and quickly I got doubts.

In the first part: "Installing Ubuntu 8.04 LTS" It could be ok, maybe we can consider to say that we must cancel dhcp configuration during installation quickly to make the point 1):

"1) The installation (and the guide) want to configure your LAN via DHCP. Cancel it before it gets that far, and manually configure it with a static IP address, netmask, and gateway. Don't put in a public DNS for your nameserver configuration; instead put in the same IP address that you just gave the machine for its own static IP (this won't let you resolve names on the internet until we do some more configuration below, but it saves headaches later)"

First important doubt: How is posible that I did exacly this and I can resolve name on internet???

Look:
---
root@mailhost:/# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 172.16.1.8
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 172.16.1.0
broadcast 172.16.1.255
gateway 172.16.1.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 172.16.1.8
dns-search mydomain.com
---

Is this what the guide says to do? I did it in the installation, even thought:

root@mailhost:/# ping yahoo.com
PING yahoo.com (209.191.122.70) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ir1.fp.vip.mud.yahoo.com (209.191.122.70): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=164 ms
64 bytes from ir1.fp.vip.mud.yahoo.com (209.191.122.70): icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=162 ms
64 bytes from ir1.fp.vip.mud.yahoo.com (209.191.122.70): icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=166 ms
64 bytes from ir1.fp.vip.mud.yahoo.com (209.191.122.70): icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=163 ms

So what now? Did I mistake somewhere? Could I continue? ¿Yes/no?

After this I finish installation and continue reading...

In the second part: "DNS

On Ubuntu, check /etc/default/bind9 to see the root directory path for your bind installation. If not other path is specified, then it's most likely /etc/bind/

OK

Proper DNS configuration is PARAMOUNT! If you don't have your DNS working properly, don't even bother trying to install Zimbra, because trying to fix DNS after the fact may result in an install that can do everything except send mail--even from a Zimbra user to himself! So I'll say it again:

If you can't resolve your mailserver's own private IP address (NOT the public IP) using nslookup, fix it BEFORE you install Zimbra! "

Excuse me! Please, Is this correct?:

root@mailhost:/# nslookup mailhost
Server: 172.16.1.8
Address: 172.16.1.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mailhost.mydomain.com
Address: 88.216.222.133

I supposed it correct but take a look in the next paragraph of the guide:

"If your installation above was successful, when you sign on at the command line you'll be able to ping public IP addresses if you know them, but you may not be able to resolve any names to ping them"

I'm able to resolve any name!
Oh no! I'm afraid, what I did wrong?

In this point, and before reinstalling again (fourth time) I apreciate any help or clue that you could give me. Am I in the wrong way? yes/no?

I will send any info if required!

Thanks in advance!