Thread: I got Ubuntu and Zimbra working

Threaded View

Default I got Ubuntu and Zimbra working

There have been a few posts on Zimbra problems with Ubuntu, including one where a poster asked if anybody had managed to get it working--to no response. Well, I have it working, mostly, and figured I'd share what I had to do to get here. I'm able to send and recieve messages, use address book, calendar, web and pop interface, etc.

My configuration is Ubuntu 6.06.1 i386 server and zcs-4.0.2_GA_362.UBUNTU6.tgz. The box lives behind a firewall, so split DNS was needed, and it is substantially different on Ubuntu than the RH version described in the wiki article. I'm also using Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper) not 6.10 (Edgy)--As of this writing Edgy is still pre-release and I wanted to do my testing on a 'supported' configuration. I replaced my domain with MYDOMAIN, and the machine's local IP number with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, adjust your settings accordingly.
    1. Install Ubuntu server.
      1. I used the default install, not the LAMP option. I figure Zimbra installs all of it's own server programs, so why go through the hassle of disabling the LAMP versions before installing zimbra.
      2. I unplugged the network cable before installing so I could do the network setup during the install. With the cable plugged in, the installer grabs DHCP info, and I wanted more control over the network config. For example, I set the DNS entries to my ISP's DNS servers instead of the internal ones provided by DHCP. No network connection will make it hang for a while trying to update apt's repositories, but it eventually moves on.
    2. After the install reboots, drop the install CD back in, log in, and sudo apt-get install ssh openssh-server. While you can type everything in at the console, I prefer to fire up PUTTY and use cut/paste for the rest of the steps.
    3. Install from the CDs.
      Several Zimbra pre-reqs are missing from the default Ubuntu install, as are a couple things that will cause problems later.
      You can preface every command with sudo, or run sudo bash to get a root session running.
      1. apt-get install libidn11 curl libpcre3 libgmp3c2 libxml2
        - curl also installs openssl
      2. apt-get install perl
        - Perl is actually installed, but not all of it. For example perl-modules is needed to prevent Getopt/Std.pm error (Getopt::Std). This will install the rest.
    4. Update, and install software not on the CD
      1. Plug the network cable in.
      2. Turn on the repositories
        • edit the sources.list: /etc/apt/sources.list
        • Uncomment everything that is mainrestricted or universe but not a backport.
        • change *.ubuntu.com for a suitable mirror close to you
        • comment out the cd-rom line
        • save and exit
      3. apt-get update
      4. apt-get upgrade
        - 35Meg, may take a while
      5. apt-get install fetchmail
      6. apt-get install expat
        installs expat libexpat1 . Needed to start spell
      7. apt-get install bind
        For doing split DNS. Needed because I'm behind a firewall.
        Should this be apt-get install bind9? Probably, but for a test box I'm sticking with what I at least know a little.
    5. edit /etc/hosts
      Code:
      127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  mail.MYDOMAIN.com mail
    6. configure bind for split DNS. This is somewhat different from the Wiki Article mainly because things are in different places.
      1. edit /etc/bind/named.conf.options
        Code:
         // forwarders {
        //      0.0.0.0;
        // };
        uncomment and change to reflect your own upstream DNS servers. In my case they are Bresnan, adjust yours accordingly.
        Code:
        forwarders { 
        69.145.248.50; 69.145.232.4; 
        };
      2. Append to /etc/bind/named.conf.local
        Code:
        	// We are the master server for mail.MYDOMAIN.com
        	zone "mail.MYDOMAIN.com" {
        		type master;
        		file "db.mail.MYDOMAIN.com";
        };
      3. create the zone file: /var/cache/bind/db.mail.MYDOMAIN.com
        Code:
        ;
        ;       Addresses and other host information.
        ;
        @       IN      SOA     mail.MYDOMAIN.com. hostmaster.mail.MYDOMAIN.com. (
                                       10118      ; Serial
                                       43200      ; Refresh
                                       3600       ; Retry
                                       3600000    ; Expire
                                       2592000 )  ; Minimum
        ;       Define the nameservers and the mail servers
                       IN      NS      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                       IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                       IN      MX      10 mail.MYDOMAIN.com.
      4. modify /etc/resolv.conf
        change upstream name servers to your own IP:
        nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
      5. /etc/init.d/bind reload
      6. to test it, nslookup mail.MYDOMAIN.com should point to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    7. install Zimbra
      1. check the Quick Start pdf
      2. get zcs-4.0.2_GA_362.UBUNTU6.tgz into tmp directory somehow -- I used FTP from my local FTP server. 215278127 bytes received in 19.19 secs
      3. tar xzvf zcs-4.0.2_GA_362.UBUNTU6.tgz
      4. cd zcs
      5. ./install.sh
        As explained in the quickstart guide, the only thing I did for the install was change the admin password.
    8. At this point for me, server status and graphs were not showing up.
      add the following as line 31 to /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogprocess
      Code:
       use lib "/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i386-linux-thread-multi";
      and add the following as line 30 to /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmgengraphs
      Code:
      use lib '/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/i386-linux-thread-multi';
      A restart of Zimbra might work (su - zimbra and then zimbra@mail:~$ zmcontrol start) but It didn't for me. Since I had installed a bunch of things without a reboot, I decided to reboot the machine. After it came back up, Server status was working. Graphs took longer to show up, looks like they might be on a chron job or maybe need enough logging data to have something to graph.
    9. Test it!
      When I reached this point, mine was working.

Update: I got brave and did apt-get install bind9 just to see what would happen. It stopped and uninstalled the current version of bind, and loaded Bind v9. It gave me the option of keeping my config files (which I did) and started up with no errors. Now I can run named-checkconf and named-checkzone to confirm the bind setup is ok.
    Another Update: Upgraded to ver 4.0.3. Aside from having to re-edit zmgengraphs and zmlogprocess, and reboot the server to get all processess running again, it went very well. About half an hour, including download time.
    Last edited by pacsteel; 10-25-2006 at 04:54 PM. Reason: IP clarification and bind update. Edit2-got graphs working. Edit3-Upgraded to 4.0.3