Thread: Daily report cron job settings

Default Daily report cron job settings

The daily report is generate each morning using the following task.

Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmdailyreport | /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail root
    On to two systems I admin I need to change it to

Code:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmdailyreport | /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail address@domain.com
    Or whatever in order to get the messages delivered, this works fine of course, but each time an update to zimbra is installed, the entry is defaulted.

is there any way to store this info in the LDAP so it's restored during an upgrade? Or could the installed be adjusted t check the job and not change to to address?

Cheers.

I know I fixed this same problem before, but for the life of me i can't think of the super easy solution, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the initial setup configuration.

I think the other solution is to edit your '/etc/aliases' file.

I've had a look at /etc/aliases and many things are alised to root, but root seems to go nowhere else.

What the cronjob has just root in it, the mails are not delivered to zimbra, typing 'mail' at a prompt when logged in as root will show the mail entries being there, in the root users mailbox - not very useful.

Does this default configuration really work for other people? It's one of those things that's perplexed me since I started using zimbra, I dont understand why it's not programmed to be, for example root@defaultdomain, the default domain is known to zimbra as it's set in the admin client, so that would make it work, it may not be the address you really want it to be set to, but it would work.

This would have the side-effect of the other thing I never understood, in that it would create the address as root@hostname.domainname.com instead of root@domainname.com

I fail to understand why zimbra believes it needs this domain to exist at all times, like, if I have a server called zimbra and a domain called work, the FQDN of the machine is zimbra.work.com and I have a user called Bob, his email address should be bob@work.com, NOT bob@zimbra.work.com

Makes sense to me, zimbra seems to disagree!

OK, rant over, but seriously, I cant be the only one to have experienced this, can I ?
    Last edited by Dirk; 10-23-2006 at 10:38 AM.

I gotta look through what files I edited so that I could leave /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/crontab/crontab.logger alone. Because you probably know that when you upgrade Zimbra it will overwrite any changes that you made to the crontab files.

So looking through the admin, It seems all that i did was set up an alias for root@zimbra.xxx.com to admin@xxx.com and for root@xxx.com to admin@xxx.com.

For the other point:

The mail report is created that way, because its being sent to root, root is actual root@localhost, which is the FQDN, therefore giving you root@zimbra.xxx.com

Also to fix user Bob, create a Domain called xxx.com, and make that his default domain.
    Last edited by glitch23; 10-23-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Agreed, that's what I've done. On both servers I created the correct domain and set it as default, I have aliases for root, postmaster etc at both domains pointing towards an account responsible for reading such messages.

It all seems a little cumbersome though, thanks for pointing out the root@localhost thing though, that now finally makes sense to me.

However, understanding why it happens, I still dont think it should. During a fresh install of zimbra, the installer asks for the domain name and the host name seperatly, so any references to email addresses that the installer uses (and subsequently passes on as defaults for the completed installation) should be what the user expects, ie a default admin account of admin@domain.com and not admin@hostname.domain.com

I know this confused me when I first installed, as I could not log in. I was of course using the account I believed it should have been, rather than the account it actually was.

I'm rambling again :/