Thread: Few questions from newbie

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra on cloud VPS?

Hello,
    I am currently researching solution for email servers and collaboration for my small team. We have just started company, and we have very tight budget. Currently we have GoogleApps setup, but though Google email is sufficient for us, we would like to have better collaboration options.

Friend of mine suggested Zimbra as possible solution, and I have reviewed information on site. But I have few question I hope someone will have time to answer.

I have seen minimum requirements on site, but I would like to know what is bare minimum that can just run Zimbra. We are planing to buy VPS.net cloud and install Zimbra there. Does anybody knows will it run on 1 or 2 nodes?

Also, I have seen that Domain Administration is not available in open-source version. Could anybody point me to see what is it?

Thank you,
    Adnan
    Last edited by adnank; 07-08-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: better title

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by adnank View Post
    I have seen minimum requirements on site, but I would like to know what is bare minimum that can just run Zimbra. We are planing to buy VPS.net cloud and install Zimbra there. Does anybody knows will it run on 1 or 2 nodes?
    A VPS is not a supported platform for Zimbra. You may, or may not, get it working (some have) but you're effectively on your own. The supported platforms are listed on the Downloads page and the required specifications are in the Quick Start Installation Guide.

[QUOTE=adnank;221791Also, I have seen that Domain Administration is not available in open-source version. Could anybody point me to see what is it?[/QUOTE]That's a Network Edition feature, you can find the Product Comparison page on the main Zimbra website.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you very much for your very fast reply. Why VPS is not supported? I can install there any OS. It is basically dedicated server. I may set it up any way.

I have checked product comparison page, but there is no explanation what is it. Is it basically domain DNS manager, or some manager for multiple domains?

Thanks again.

Why VPS is not supported? I can install there any OS.
    For the simple reason that it's not built for, or tested on, a VPS.

It is basically dedicated server. I may set it up any way.
    Yes, it's basically' a dedictaed server but it's not actually a dedicated server and that's the problem. You would have a better experience by using a dedicated server.

I have checked product comparison page, but there is no explanation what is it. Is it basically domain DNS manager, or some manager for multiple domains?
    A Domain Administrator is a user that is only allowed to manage domains (on the Zimbra server) to which they are given access.
    Regards

Bill

Thank you phoenix, you have been very helpful. Then we would probably have to look for full dedi.

Thank you phoenix, you have been very helpful. Then we would probably have to look for full dedi.
    In the long-run I believe that to be the better option and depending on your expected mail load (and user numbers etc.) I don't think it's necessarily more expensive. If your team is relatively small then maybe a hosted solution may be a better option? There is a list of Partners on the main Zimbra web page (you can also get to it from the bar at the top of this page). Whatever you decide, good luck and you can always get help in these forums.
    Regards

Bill