Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zimbra NE in a Zimbra OSE environment

My wish
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, you can't do that.

Proxy service is also part of the Zimbra install, so the NE proxy service can't know about any of the OSS accounts, and vice versa.

There isn't any kind of sync between OSS and NE. Even if you installed the two Zimbra installations, the OSS one would think that it is the only one with that domain, and the NE one would think that it is the only one with that domain, and mail wouldn't make it between the environments.

There is a Split Domain concept, but that's not going to work for you since you still need an account for every user in the domain on the NE server.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

In re: to your picture. Nope, you cannot do that. The Zimbra MTA can't know about both the OSS and NE users. It can only know about its own users. So the MTA would belong to either the OSS or NE system, and you can't sync users between different installations.

It's just not possible. You cannot do what you are asking for.
    01 Networks, LLC / Cybernetik.net
    Zimbra NE and OSS Cloud Hosting
    Shared Web Hosting
    Consulting Services

Quote Originally Posted by Krishopper View Post
    In re: to your picture. Nope, you cannot do that. The Zimbra MTA can't know about both the OSS and NE users. It can only know about its own users. So the MTA would belong to either the OSS or NE system, and you can't sync users between different installations.

It's just not possible. You cannot do what you are asking for.
    Thank you for the replay,

so the only thing that i can do is buy 2000 license of the NE or keep using the OSS right?
    Another way is to use 2 domain one for the OSS and one for the NE.
    What about create a local domain where send a copy from the OSS to NE user and let NE send mail with the OSS user?

Is it clear my idea? example :
    john@domain.com get an email ( john is a OSS user ) the mail that he receive is forwarded to john@local.domain ( NE user ).

if john@local.domain want to send email can send from john@local.domain like john@domain.com?

Thank you for the help

as krishopper said, it is not possible to use one zimbra mta to route the users. and if you have an NE and OSE running, you will have two different urls for your web access. you CAN have a single point of entry like http://webmail.company.com and then, depending of an attribute (e.g. mailhost) your users get redirected to http://ne.company.com or http://ose.company.com.

we do the same for imap access, have perdition (imap proxy) looking up mailhost attribute and route users to the right zimbra server.

and if you really want such a setup i advise to have a SINGLE account source (e.g. ldap). we did not do any changes (except supported) to any of our zimbra installations. we just use soap and zmprov to configure zimbra and add users. the openldap that is used by zimbra doesnt get used for anything else. all updates are working and we do not have any issues.

it is not an easy setup but doable.

kind regards

-andy

I am sorry to contradict you, but it's possible to do what gzimbmail is asking for. We are able to install a Zimbra mixed environment with a single interface for the users and the administration tasks too. ZMTA can easily know the NE users, the difficult part is to proxy the http sessions in the right way, to be able to share the resources between the two groups, to be able to configure and monitor both enviroments through a single admin interface. We do that
    Stefano Pampaloni
    www.seacom.it

Quote Originally Posted by anteos View Post
    I am sorry to contradict you, but it's possible to do what gzimbmail is asking for. We are able to install a Zimbra mixed environment with a single interface for the users and the administration tasks too. ZMTA can easily know the NE users, the difficult part is to proxy the http sessions in the right way, to be able to share the resources between the two groups, to be able to configure and monitor both enviroments through a single admin interface. We do that
    i am sure, that this is possible. but it is not possible with a default installation and without custom modifications?

Andy204 you probably right, as you suggested to me, using a mr, probably modify the postfix configuration file is it possible to use the zimbra mta as mr.

Anteos, is that possible as i showed in the picture or should i create 2 separated zimbra installation?
    In that case should i create a NE with all the stuff like mta, mailstore and ldap separate from the environment?

May u suggest me something?

Thanks for the help

Well gzimbmaill, your picture is wrong since the proxy sessions don't go through the mta and viceversa, but yes, you can have an environment with a proxy, mta, ldap and zstore OSS + a zstore and ldap NE. You don't need to hack Zimbra, but you need a deep knowledge of it.
    Last edited by anteos; 07-16-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: pointed to the right person
    Stefano Pampaloni
    www.seacom.it

all right didnt know that and good to know its working. can OSS users see NE users calendar (free times and stuff like that)? i am just curious.

btw: its clear to me, that a proxy session is not going through the mta. that would not make any sense.

-andy