Thread: Installation Help Please

Default Installation Help Please

Ok. I'm now attempting my second install. My first install completed correctly and there weren't any errors. However it took an extremely long time on the Creating db... step. As I began investigating this I started searching these forums for clues. I don't have a lot of MySQL experience which is probably part of the problem.

I started off with a fresh install of RHEL4. As I stated my first install never errored but also didn't come out correctly. I've now uninstalled and restarted. I just started the install again and it is again taking what would seem like too long on the Creating db step. When i go and check in the install log I see a ton of what I believe to be errors that state - Too many open files in the system. This first occurs at a line that reads

/etc/profile.d/krb5.sh: cannot make pipe for command substitution : Too many open files in the system.

It then goes on to repeat this Too many open files in the system for just about every line there after. unicode_start, which-2.sh, less.sh, lang.sh.

Is this normal behavior?

It now made it past the Creating db... part. And is at the starting servers faze.

Default file limits

In the zimbra-store preinstall, we do this:

egrep -q 'zimbra' /etc/security/limits.conf
    if [ $? != 0 ]; then
    echo "zimbra soft nofile 10000" >> /etc/security/limits.conf
    echo "zimbra hard nofile 10000" >> /etc/security/limits.conf
    fi

So, you may want to make sure that those limits are still present in /etc/security/limits.conf

well it appears i've gotten past the too many files open problem.

my zmcontrol status now returns properly and i can see that all the services are running with the exception of the snmp service. which is stopped. is that ok?

Quote Originally Posted by visual97
    well it appears i've gotten past the too many files open problem.

my zmcontrol status now returns properly and i can see that all the services are running with the exception of the snmp service. which is stopped. is that ok?
    Yeah, the snmp service on systems I've installed doesn't generally like to start on it's own either.

You should be able to start it up by doing the following:

su - zimbra
    zmcontrol start snmp

Have a good one,
    -Eric

should zmcontrol start snmp take an extremely long time. i ran the command at least 10 minutes ago and still have received nothing back.

Quote Originally Posted by visual97
    should zmcontrol start snmp take an extremely long time. i ran the command at least 10 minutes ago and still have received nothing back.
    What kind of hardware do you have?

On my P4 2.4Ghz machine with 512MB of RAM, that one command took about 2 minutes to run.

With a lower end machine, it could take significantly longer. While 10 minutes does seem like awhile, I'd continue to be patient :-)

Also, it's possible stuff is showing up in /var/log/zimbra.log, that may be helpful as well.
    -Eric

ok. my zmcontrol snmp start finally returned something. however it's the error i was seeing before.

unicode_start: Too many open files in system.

it scrolled the screen some so i can't fully tell if there is anything above it at all. or if it's just a pile of these Too many open files in system errors.

also when i do a ps -ef | grep zimbra i see a ton of /bin/bash /bin/unicode_start latarcyrheb-sun16

I just checked the /etc/security/limits.conf file and those values are in there at 1000.

on another note i just did an LS in my /opt/zimbra directory and there are several log files in here that are named hs_err_pidxxxxx.log.

All of those errors refer to the java hotspot virtual machine.
    Last edited by visual97; 10-25-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Default Lang?

Try setting the zimbra user's environment variable:
    export LANG=C (in .bashrc) then restart the whole system.

ok. after getting a few bad sector reports on this machine i've decided to get a new hd for it. so i've now reinstalled rhel 4 completely. i've followed the instructions for installing rhel4 and have started the zimbra install.

i've gotten to the part where it's Creating db.... I just checked the install log file and it has an error in one of the first lines.

zimbra-core-3.0.M1_21.RHEL4-20050920162541_
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: get DirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException localhost:389)

however the install did complete successfully.

there is another error in the install log that is.

Certificate was added to the keystore
    keytool error: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/zimbra/java/jre/lib/security/cacerts (Permission denied)

but that one doesn't appear to be crucial if it's just the CA Cert.

another error following that for what i believe is the same thing.

keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Failed to establish chain from reply

other than that no other errors.

I think one of the things that helped is I didn't have it start the services after installation. of course it could be the new HD too. no reports of the Too many files open on system either.

so what's with that first error...??

Might just be us looking for an existing install. If everything came up ok then I'd just ignore it.