Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highly disappointed

I have to say apart from a few minor issues which are apparently being fixed in the next version (personal Distribution lists for one) the only complaints i have had from my test users is slowness which more than likely is a combination of IE 6 and a slow test sever (2.4 P4 with 1Gb RAM) the lack of a windows explorer shell "send this to mail recipient" (using the web interface) and the lack of audio on alert pop ups.

As for install, I installed a working server on a debian box in under a hour (after having correct DNS information!)

I am throughly impressed with zimbra and even at $35 per user its still cheaper than Exchange!

What issues are being addressed in the next release? When is the next release? What is the recommended workstation requirements for end users? I read somewhere that you need to have a 750MHz PC and a Mac running OX 10.4. What if you don't have that? Will it be slow? Will it work? What functionality is lost between Outlook and the web version? What functionality is lost with Mac? What client do Mac users use who don't want to use the Web interface?

We have some bosses who wouldn't like the idea of their staff "being online" all day. What alternatives are available so they don't think their employees are surfing the web all day?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The next version is available now as a Beta, the GA version will be mid-late January. For the rest of your questions, have a look in http://bugzilla.com or search the forums for a thread or two that cover your points.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Phoenix,

I searched bugzilla and couldn't find the answer to my questions. Way too many bugs came up for me to sift through and none of the titles matched what I am trying to learn. Is there a simple place to find this information? Thanks.

Default Bugzilla!

Do a bugzilla search for enhancements with target "Frank" (the 4.5 release) and you'll see all the publically-visible new features.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Default Many questions; some answers

Quote Originally Posted by curioust View Post
    What is the recommended workstation requirements for end users? I read somewhere that you need to have a 750MHz PC and a Mac running OX 10.4. What if you don't have that? Will it be slow? Will it work?
    Slower client boxes will run the AJAX client more slowly. Yes it will run; no, users with really slow boxes won't like it. However, there's an HTML-only (beta) client in the 4.5 release that does email and contacts and will run perfectly fine on older computers.

What functionality is lost between Outlook and the web version?
    The web version doesn't work offline (yet). That's the main difference.

What functionality is lost with Mac?
    The AJAX web version runs equally well on Mac and Windows and Linux. IE6 is a very slow web browser, so your Safari/Firefox Mac users are even more likely to be happy.

What client do Mac users use who don't want to use the Web interface?
    The Network Edition contains an iSync connector that ties in with the Mac's sync services. Or you can just use the IMAP client of your choice.

We have some bosses who wouldn't like the idea of their staff "being online" all day. What alternatives are available so they don't think their employees are surfing the web all day?
    I suppose you could set up "kiosks" where your employees can check their mail away from their desks, but that seems worse than the original problem. I suppose you could install internet filter software on the users' computers to disallow general web browsing...
    Last edited by dkarp; 12-12-2006 at 10:32 AM. Reason: "Firefox Max" sounds like a cool product, but I meant "Mac"
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Slower client boxes will run the AJAX client more slowly. Yes it will run; no, users with really slow boxes won't like it. However, there's an HTML-only (beta) client in the 4.5 release that does email and contacts and will run perfectly fine on older computers.
    really?? cool! where is it? i cant see any evidence of it in the admin interface or the services.

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    really?? cool! where is it? i cant see any evidence of it in the admin interface or the services.
    That's because it's not in the current OSS beta version, it does work and it's quite snappy. It's not in the Admin interface, it's just another url that loads the light client but I don't know if that may change.
    Regards

Bill

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

That's because it's not in the current OSS beta version, it does work and it's quite snappy. It's not in the Admin interface, it's just another url that loads the light client but I don't know if that may change.
    i realise that, but i expected to see some trace of its settings or service somewhere, if its not in the beta i guess that answers why!

where is it, in the NE beta or do we have to ask sales people nicely?

There are no settings, it's just another url to the zimbra server. It's currently in the NE 4.5 beta which won't be publicly available for a while.
    Regards

Bill