Thread: Questions.....

Default Questions.....

All of these questions will be about the Zimbra Open Source edition of 7.1.2, running on Cent OS 5

1. If one were to copy his /opt/ folder of zimbra to a brand new machine of CentOS that just finished installing from an older CentOS machine, how much trouble would it be to get it up and running correctly?

Is there a program that can be ran to add the zimbra services back to the startup so once the computer reboots its running just like the older one...

What else would need to be configured for it to work correctly...? resolv.conf? host.conf?

##############################

2. Are there any threads or howto's for setting up for nightly / weekly backups that will overwrite eachother after X amount of time for the open source edition of Zimbra 7.1.2?

3. I keep hearing that SplitDNS needs to be setup in order for your email server to work correctly, I have never setup SplitDNS for a linux email server and they all have worked fine, can someone clarify why that is?

4. I've been looking at DNS record threads and reading about different FQDNs... right now my mail server is just using the standard domain name for the SMTP and IMAP address.

I would much rather have it be imap.mydomain.com instead of just mydomain.com. If anyone could please clarify on which records and which config file, define that for a DNS query for Thunderbirds automatic email server look up, etc, that would be great.

This is more towards any administrators that run raid....

5. I am planning to roll out a new system that is running raid 1 on two hard drives, I have never really used raid but I know full well what it does...

This is the scenario -

- Two hard drives are linked together in BIOS with RAID 1 on a machine....

- I install Cent OS to the storage device that shows up, it should only be listing one storage device....

- I install and setup everything I need and get it running correctly...

- Time passes and one of the hard drive dies...

Now can I take the SATA cable out of the dead drive and expect the mirrored drive to boot into CentOS just fine and run the server just like the previous one was?

Or is having the OS on the raided drives require more work in order to get the system working again after a drive fails?

Those are all the questions for now......
    Last edited by Eclipse; 09-20-2011 at 10:07 PM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    All of these questions will be about the Zimbra Open Source edition of 7.1.2, running on Cent OS 5
    These questions have been answered many times in the forum/wiki/blog.

1. If one were to copy his /opt/ folder of zimbra to a brand new machine of CentOS that just finished installing from an older CentOS machine, how much trouble would it be to get it up and running correctly?
    Depends what you mean by 'much trouble'? You need to follow certain steps to move the install to a new server, articles are in the wiki including an article on Disaster Recovery.

Is there a program that can be ran to add the zimbra services back to the startup so once the computer reboots its running just like the older one...
    Yes, it's ./install.sh from the downloaded package.

What else would need to be configured for it to work correctly...? resolv.conf? host.conf?
    Exactly the same as you'd need for installing Zimbra on any machine, see the articles in the wiki/forums/blog.

2. Are there any threads or howto's for setting up for nightly / weekly backups that will overwrite eachother after X amount of time for the open source edition of Zimbra 7.1.2?
    There are articles in the wiki and forums on backup strategies (including scripts).

3. I keep hearing that SplitDNS needs to be setup in order for your email server to work correctly, I have never setup SplitDNS for a linux email server and they all have worked fine, can someone clarify why that is?
    Answered in the forums and wiki article, Postfix does an MX lookup to find the server IP address of the Zimbra server.

4. I've been looking at DNS record threads and reading about different FQDNs... right now my mail server is just using the standard domain name for the SMTP and IMAP address.

I would much rather have it be imap.mydomain.com instead of just mydomain.com. If anyone could please clarify on which records and which config file, define that for a DNS query for Thunderbirds automatic email server look up, etc, that would be great.
    Covered in the SPlit DNS article in the wiki.

This is more towards any administrators that run raid....

5. I am planning to roll out a new system that is running raid 1 on two hard drives, I have never really used raid but I know full well what it does...

This is the scenario -

- Two hard drives are linked together in BIOS with RAID 1 on a machine....

- I install Cent OS to the storage device that shows up, it should only be listing one storage device....

- I install and setup everything I need and get it running correctly...

- Time passes and one of the hard drive dies...

Now can I take the SATA cable out of the dead drive and expect the mirrored drive to boot into CentOS just fine and run the server just like the previous one was?

Or is having the OS on the raided drives require more work in order to get the system working again after a drive fails?
    The answer to that would depend on the type of RAID, you'll most likely have to initiate a rebuild via the BIOS or whever o/s tools it provides (if any). Depending on the number of users, RAID1 wouldn't necessarily give you good performance. There's an article in the wiki on Zimbra performance tuning and which RAID levels are the most appropriate.

Those are all the questions for now......[/QUOTE]
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.