Thread: Zimbra new install by newbie

Unhappy Zimbra new install by newbie

I'm setting up a Zimbra server within the confines of our LAN. It is the open free to use version. It will operate as an internal mail server and calendering program (with shared calenders).

The machine has a 500gig HDD, 2gig RAM and has a completely new install of Ubuntu 10.04 (with desktop GUI). At present only sqlite3 and sysstat were installed because the Zimbra installer indicated that those were missing. No updates were from any repository.

This is a clean install.

The server name is missdebra.

cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.189 missdebra.com missdebra
    127.0.1.1 missdebra

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

If I don't list the FQDN as it is in my hosts file the installer fails with a prompt telling me to fix it in the /etc/hosts file.

The install.

sudo ./install.sh

Operations logged to /tmp/install.log.28616
    Checking for existing installation...
    zimbra-ldap...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-logger...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-mta...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-snmp...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-store...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-apache...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-spell...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-convertd...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-memcached...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-proxy...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-archiving...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-cluster...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-core...NOT FOUND

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE.
    ZIMBRA, INC. ("ZIMBRA") WILL ONLY LICENSE THIS SOFTWARE TO YOU IF YOU
    FIRST ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING
    THE SOFTWARE, OR USING THE PRODUCT, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY
    THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS
    AGREEMENT, THEN DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT.

License Terms for the Zimbra Collaboration Suite:
    Zimbra - Zimbra Public End-User License Agreement, Version 2.3

Do you agree with the terms of the software license agreement? [N] y

Checking for prerequisites...
    FOUND: NPTL
    FOUND: sudo-1.7.2p1-1ubuntu5.3
    FOUND: libidn11-1.15-2
    FOUND: libpcre3-7.8-3build1
    FOUND: libgmp3c2-2:4.3.2+dfsg-1ubuntu1
    FOUND: libexpat1-2.0.1-7ubuntu1
    FOUND: libstdc++6-4.4.3-4ubuntu5
    FOUND: libperl5.10-5.10.1-8ubuntu2.1
    Checking for suggested prerequisites...
    FOUND: perl-5.10.1
    FOUND: sysstat
    FOUND: sqlite3
    Prerequisite check complete.

Checking for installable packages

Found zimbra-core
    Found zimbra-ldap
    Found zimbra-logger
    Found zimbra-mta
    Found zimbra-snmp
    Found zimbra-store
    Found zimbra-apache
    Found zimbra-spell
    Found zimbra-memcached
    Found zimbra-proxy

Select the packages to install

Install zimbra-ldap [Y]

Install zimbra-logger [Y]

Install zimbra-mta [Y]

Install zimbra-snmp [Y]

Install zimbra-store [Y]

Install zimbra-apache [Y]

Install zimbra-spell [Y]

Install zimbra-memcached [N]

Install zimbra-proxy [N]
    Checking required space for zimbra-core
    checking space for zimbra-store

Installing:
    zimbra-core
    zimbra-ldap
    zimbra-logger
    zimbra-mta
    zimbra-snmp
    zimbra-store
    zimbra-apache
    zimbra-spell

The system will be modified. Continue? [N] y

Removing /opt/zimbra
    Removing zimbra crontab entry...done.
    Cleaning up zimbra init scripts...done.
    Cleaning up /etc/ld.so.conf...done.
    Cleaning up /etc/security/limits.conf...done.

Finished removing Zimbra Collaboration Suite.

Installing packages

zimbra-core......zimbra-core_7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb...done
    zimbra-ldap......zimbra-ldap_7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb...done
    zimbra-logger......zimbra-logger_7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb...done
    zimbra-mta......zimbra-mta_7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb...done
    zimbra-snmp......zimbra-snmp_7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb...done
    zimbra-store......zimbra-store_7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb...done
    zimbra-apache......zimbra-apache_7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb...done
    zimbra-spell......zimbra-spell_7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU10_64_amd64.deb...done
    Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.09242011-204946.log
    Installing LDAP configuration database...done.
    Setting defaults...No results returned for A lookup of missdebra.com
    Checked nameservers:

DNS ERROR resolving missdebra.com
    It is suggested that the hostname be resolveable via DNS
    Change hostname [Yes]

When it prompts me to change the hostname for the mx record I say no.

The install completes.

I can move to a workstation and access the system by logging in as admin. I can create an account and log in to that.

When I go to create email it works. When I look at the sent items the email is there.

When I check the recipient there's NO mail listed.

Investigation leads me to believe I need to do a split DNS, as this machine is connected to the net, but I'm not using any internet resources, and this box is not registered on the net. This is for INTERNAL USE ONLY (at the moment).

I investigate configuring split DNS but what I find doesn't appear to explain setting it up properly.

Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki

The above articles seem to reference something called "named", which I suspect is the "name" daemon. It is also confusing as it mentions above to do it with "bind9" OR "dnsmasq", but the article appears to indicate that you must do both. Do I? Or just one or the other?

I have tried this with just the one, bind9. I did sudo apt-get install bind9 and began the process.

In the wiki, I get to the point where I'm supposed to edit some files (For Ubuntu/Kubuntu, edit: /etc/bind/named.conf.options) and I do so, but I'm a bit confused as to what to put in there. Besides the first file in question has a different layout/syntax from the one listed in this wiki's examples. AND, the include "/etc/rndc.key" file does not exist.

The wiki then proceeds to instruct that another file in the /var/named folder must be edited, except there is no /var/named folder. I can manually create one, but is that what I should be doing? It explains what to fill out here, but I'm confused as the instructions don't exactly match what the file says it should (in the wiki examples).

I edit the /etc/resolv.conf file accordingly. That one seems pretty straight forward. The next command miffs me though. There's no "/etc/init.d/named" file to start (or otherwise). Since there is no "named" command the command that triggers it to be auto started is irrelevant.

Of course then I hit the second part that appears to be the "OR" portion of the initial description above.

OK, with the information I have given can someone explain how those config files should be modified and can someone explain where the "named" program is from and how to get it installed, as Ubuntu's repository has it conspicuously missing.

OR

Could someone tell me an easier way to make a split DNS? I need to use this as internal email and calendering and maybe, just maybe, at some point in the future integrate, it with incoming and outgoing mail to others on the internet.

I apologize for the spam, but that's what the Zimbra installer spits out to me.

-Jim

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo99 View Post
    IInvestigation leads me to believe I need to do a split DNS, as this machine is connected to the net, but I'm not using any internet resources, and this box is not registered on the net. This is for INTERNAL USE ONLY (at the moment).
    You do need a SPlit DNS and the article tells you why (as do the many forum threads on this topic).

I investigate configuring split DNS but what I find doesn't appear to explain setting it up properly.
    Yes, it does - what's not correct in that article (see my comment below about Linux distributions)?

Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki

The above articles seem to reference something called "named", which I suspect is the "name" daemon. It is also confusing as it mentions above to do it with "bind9" OR "dnsmasq", but the article appears to indicate that you must do both. Do I? Or just one or the other?
    It does not tell you to install both, it describes what to do for different operating systems. This is general overview article and not a detailed tutorial in installing a DNS server for every Linux distribution (they all put the files in their preferred location) on the planet, you are expected to know (or find out) something about installing a DNS server on your system.

OK, with the information I have given can someone explain how those config files should be modified and can someone explain where the "named" program is from and how to get it installed, as Ubuntu's repository has it conspicuously missing.
    Bind (or the newer bind9) is the package that provides the 'named' daemon. Take your pick of the tutorials on setting up a DNS server in Ubuntu: +ubuntu +"setting up a dns server" - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Thanks for your reply, but

Phoenix, I really appreciate the reply.

I know my comments were very straight forward. I was careful not to make many assumptions, except in that I felt I needed a split DNS.

I would hope that someone else can assist me a bit more with the details. Your post, though I appreciate it, hasn't been any help. Are you the one that wrote the wiki article that I reference?

I did find an Ubuntu wiki on bind9. It explains things a bit more though it too is wrong -- even the Ubuntu wiki maintainer for bind9 indicates that theirs is wrong, and needs maintenance, and he calls out for help on corrections.

What I find is that I'm dismayed after reading a bunch more on this. What I find is that, in order for me to send one email message from one Zimbra account to another within my own LAN, I have to connect to the internet, in order to download and maintain a local copy of the DNS, which would then be updated to integrate my internal server domain name. I'm not sure what to think about that, regardless of whether it is "necessary". Am I correct? Is this the goal of setting up the split DNS?

Over the years of using Windows and understanding from way back of Microsoft's unlawful monopoly abuse, I tend to stay away from them (which is why I use Linux), and thus their partners too (whenever possible) -- so, rather than search Yahoo I choose Google.

I have found (using keywords similar to your keyword suggestions) massive amounts of attention diverting articles that do little to help me resolve this issue. After doing that I came here to the place that maintains the wiki to ask for help only to get more direction to go back to Yahoo to do the same searches again. That's frustrating too.

As a point of reference regarding my frustration and confusion:

The Zimbra Split DNS wiki reads:

Start named on the zimbra server

/etc/init.d/named start

Looking in the /etc/init.d directory the program called "named" does not exist. Hence it isn't possible to start it, or even restart it. Now, the Ubuntu Wiki does reference /etc/init.d/bind9 start. In looking up this reference on the web, the term "named" is far too generic and nets little to no useful information as it pertains to Linux, Ubuntu, or Bind. And...there are others, as the layout of the config files for some of these only slightly match those presented in the wiki (as I mentioned in my original post).

Given the information that I provided in my original post, can no one help me configure these files to reflect what is necessary? I would appreciate the help. I can duplicate and learn from how that is configured from my reference, tweak, and find out what causes failure. But having to guess so much about what's right or wrong from the perspective of these wiki articles slows things down considerably.

Anyway, thanks again, and I do appreciate your time. It is more than I have received from most. I would urge a reworking of the "summary" wiki article to expand it without overwhelming others with detail.

Thank you kindly,

-Jim

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

No, I didn't write the Split DNS article although I have added some information to it. The problem with reworking the article is that the location of files is different for most distributions and whether the DNS server is running in a chroot in addition, the location of files also seems to be changed between releases.

I don't like Ubuntu and I don't use it so I can't help you with the location of the files. You might like to take a look at Webmin, once installed you can access it from a browser and it will allow you to modify the DNS configuration to your liking.

You are correct in stating that the Split DNS is required to send an email from any zimbra account to any other account simply stated, it's a requirement of Postfix and it needs to do a MX lookup to locate the server IP address - that's what a grown-up mail server does and the fact it's on a LAN makes no difference.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.