Thread: Installing Zimbra on custom linux distro

Default Installing Zimbra on custom linux distro

Hello all,

I've got a custom homebuild linux distro that i'd like to get zimbra running on. Needless to say it's not as straight forward as I hoped to get the install to work. It looks like many of the scripts for install are dependant on checking dpkg or rpm databases for prereq's, I use dpkg as my package manager, but most things on my server are installed from source, so they are installed, but the prereq checks don't find them.

Does anyone have any docs or tips on getting this to install?

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

vmware anyone? binary distro's i'd say you have next to no chance unless it's a close derivative of a supported distro, and even from source you're in for a world of pain. if it uses standard dpkg you might be ok if you trick it into thinking its building on debian.

Unfortunately, running through vmware just won't be an option. I've tried to do some trickery on the scripts to make it think it's got the prereq's even thought they are not listed in the dpkg database, (they are installed via source).

So i guess maybe a better question for the zimbra community is, Has anyone built binaries from SVN source on any other than the "standard" types of distro's?

What is your disto based on. Debian?

Most parts are actually similar to SuSe 10. But all the packages that are installed are either built specially using the debian package manager, or are compiled and installed via source.

I'm making some better process to do a developer build from SVN, i guess i'm just trying to get some advice in advance from anyone who's done a straight build from scratch. There doesn't really seem to be any clear docs to build. They are all kinda all over.

Anyways, i'm building Perl from the notes in the cvs build doc on SVN, so hopefully i'm close to the end. I'll report back with what happens, maybe it will help someone else.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

i would have thought compiling from sauce would be your best bet for sure, at least if you get through the compile stage you can be much happier that the binaries will actually be compatible with your system. your biggest problem will probably then be dependency checking and package building, although as dpkg is already supported for debian and ubuntu it might 'just work'. take great care when compiling everything - log all stdout and stderr to logs and pour through them, especially the perl compile. a single failure doesn't necessarily kill the build process and can cause havoc later on - i do all the 3rd party building by hand, only use the auttomated procedure for the main java bit.

The build from source was going well, i took great care to build all the 3rd party stuff 1st and then started the make in the ZimbraBuild dir. It built the zimbra core deb and the zimbra mta deb, but then failed when building the tomcat stuff. Here's the error I got.

------
    Code:
    Total time: 4 minutes 11 seconds
    rm -rf zimbraConf
    mkdir zimbraConf
    cp /data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/../ZimbraWebClient/build/WebRoot/WEB-INF/web.xml zimbraConf
    mkdir /data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/storebuild/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/webapps/zimbra
    (cd /data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/storebuild/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/webapps/zimbra; jar xf /data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/../ZimbraWebClient/build/dist/tomcat/webapps/zimbra.war)
    mkdir -p /data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/storebuild/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/webapps/zimbra/downloads
    cp /data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/../ZimbraServer/src/windows/*exe /data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/storebuild/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/webapps/zimbra/downloads
    cp: cannot stat `/data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/../ZimbraServer/src/windows/*exe': No such file or directory
    make: *** [/data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/storebuild/opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/webapps/zimbra/downloads] Error 1
    ---------

It's odd because the /data/root/zimbra-svn/ZimbraBuild/../ZimbraServer/src/windows/*exe'
    doens't exist anywhere, I don't see it in the SVN either.

Is this a directory that gets built when building something else? Did a miss building a 3rd party app? I posted this as a new thread in the Dev forum, but haven't heard back from anyone yet.

Anyone seen this before??