Thread: Installation with gmail as host and ZCS 7 with Ubuntu 10.04 VM beta for ESXi

Default Installation with gmail as host and ZCS 7 with Ubuntu 10.04 VM beta for ESXi

Hi all,

First off, let me say that I'm a noob as far as Zimbra is concerned and have been looking for a system which can provide me with a way to sync email, calendar, tasks, notes and files across my devices such as a mac desktop, a laptop, a Xoom and a Samsung Galaxy phone. Gmail does most of this but not without a lot of fuffing about. A friend suggested Zimbra as a cool alternative to Exchange 2010 so here I am.

Now my concern. When I installed the VM on vSphere, it was very smooth and picked up settings etc. It asked me for a hostname which I set up as imap.googlemail.com coz I would like to have Google as my mail/calendar/contacts provider and Zimbra as the server to all my various clients.

As it stands, I have updated my license this morning which I couldn't do yesterday due to having setup DHCP instead of static, but emails are not coming through and can't send anything out either. All services show as running.

Would really appreciate a helping hand.

Thanx

D.

Quote Originally Posted by thinhat View Post
    emails are not coming through and can't send anything out either. All services show as running.
    Sounds like a DNS issue. Be sure to read and understand this --> Split DNS

Before anyone can give you any help beyond a simple link to a tutorial / article, you are going to need to give more details than just a general description of the problem.

I've seen this all over the forums when members are trying to get more details in order to help so I'll copy/paste the same info here.

type the following commands and show us the output:

Exact product version:
    Code:
    su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol -v"
    Your short host name:
    Code:
    hostname -s
    Your long hostname:
    Code:
    hostname
    DNS Info (use the hostname above in this command:
    Code:
    dig mail.mydomain.com any
    Last edited by LHammonds; 10-23-2011 at 08:45 PM.