Thread: Multi Server Installation problem - Ldap Admin password: Not Verified

Default Multi Server Installation problem - Ldap Admin password: Not Verified

Hi guys,
    I am trying to set up a multi-server Zimbra environment using ZCS 7.1.3 on Ubuntu 10.04.

I want to achieve the following setup:
    1x server with the following modules: ldap, smnp, logger, spell, apache, memcached.
    2x server with the following modules: mta, smnp
    1x server with the following modules: store, smnp.

After installing the LDAP server and ensuring that LDAP is running (zmcontrol status) I proceed to either installing one of my MTA servers or the store server and I cannot proceed passed configuring the LDAP server. The password never changes from "Not Verified".

I have read the guide here from cover to cover (Multi-server installation) and have found no help. Searching the forums seems to have uncovered no help either (been looking for two days straight).

I have made sure that I have set up the correct /etc/hosts files on each server, with hostnames and IPs configured for each server.

I can ping each server using only the hostnames.

During the installation I know that the servers will try to communicate with the LDAP server after entering the Ldap Admin Password, so during this process, I set up Wireshark on the LDAP server.

I saw the communication coming from 192.168.1.40 (the store server) on LDAP, then the response from 192.168.1.10 (the LDAP server) so it doesn't seem to me like this could be a network issue. I have tested this with and without Firewalls also (including ubuntus ufw/iptables).

If you guys have any thoughts I would really appreciate them!

It sounds like you didn't set the passwords on the MTA box to match what is being used by the LDAP server. There is a menu item to set the LDAP Admin password. On an MTA, you will also be required to set the Postfix and Amavis LDAP user passwords too. If you look at zmsetup.log while you're doing the install, it will log its attempts to verify the different passwords,and you can see which one(s) are failing.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am trying to set up a multi-server Zimbra environment using ZCS 7.1.3 on Ubuntu 10.04.

I want to achieve the following setup:
    1x server with the following modules: ldap, smnp, logger, spell, apache, memcached.
    2x server with the following modules: mta, smnp
    1x server with the following modules: store, smnp.

After installing the LDAP server and ensuring that LDAP is running (zmcontrol status) I proceed to either installing one of my MTA servers or the store server and I cannot proceed passed configuring the LDAP server. The password never changes from "Not Verified".

I have read the guide here from cover to cover (Multi-server installation) and have found no help. Searching the forums seems to have uncovered no help either (been looking for two days straight).

I have made sure that I have set up the correct /etc/hosts files on each server, with hostnames and IPs configured for each server.

I can ping each server using only the hostnames.

During the installation I know that the servers will try to communicate with the LDAP server after entering the Ldap Admin Password, so during this process, I set up Wireshark on the LDAP server.

I saw the communication coming from 192.168.1.40 (the store server) on LDAP, then the response from 192.168.1.10 (the LDAP server) so it doesn't seem to me like this could be a network issue. I have tested this with and without Firewalls also (including ubuntus ufw/iptables).

If you guys have any thoughts I would really appreciate them!
    it could be that you have selected secure ldap connection. try to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by andy204 View Post
    it could be that you have selected secure ldap connection. try to disable it.
    Bad advice. He should check the log as I already stated. My guess would be, however, that it is a different password they have failed to set.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

sure your advice is the better one. my working collegue, that set the password right but did configure secure ldap off on the ldap master. gives the same error message "Not Verified"

Default Check pass

You can get the pass using this:

su zimbra
    zmlocalconfig -s | grep ldap_amavis_password
    zmlocalconfig -s | grep ldap_nginx_password
    zmlocalconfig -s | grep ldap_postfix_password
    zmlocalconfig -s | grep ldap_replication_password
    zmlocalconfig -s | grep ldap_root_password
    zmlocalconfig -s | grep zimbra_ldap_password

@egodinho