Thread: Different Hostname and domain name

Hybrid View

Default Different Hostname and domain name

So here is my scenario, I want to setup Zimbra Network Edition so that it will host multiple domains. This isn't a problem, I can do this. But what I want is for the hostname of the server to be different from any of the domains that I will be setting up. I will not be using bind, as I have access to setup all the domains MX, etc records externally and then perform the necessary forwarding at my SonicWall to the email server for all the domains. Do I have to have the hostname resolve MX records properly as well, or just the domains that I want to setup.
    The reason I am asking is because I will ultimately have 2 email servers setup, the first one is already going and has been for the last year (no problems there), lets call it mail.example.com, and now I have been mandated to setup a second email server for "sister" companies and I would like the host to be mail2.example.com. Two completely different email servers, the first email server will host example.com and the second will host example1.com, example2.com, etc.
    Does this make sense and can I do what I want to do? Or does the second email server have to have a different hostname all together. So instead of having the first email server being mail.example.com and the second being mail2.example.com, does the second have to be something like mail.example2.com.

Please note that I have the domains already that I want to setup so that is not an issue.

Any help would be great.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chads View Post
    Do I have to have the hostname resolve MX records properly as well, or just the domains that I want to setup.
    You need to have a DNS server behind your NAT router that will resolve the IP address of the Zimbra server. Go to the Split DNS and follow the instructions there for all the domains that you host including the hostname of the server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

If you have access to all DNS records you don't need the split DNS setup.
    Just add them there.

At least, that's how I setup my 2 Zimbra servers. One behind NAT, one in the Data Center. Or is this a security risk? Don't see how right now.

I have the dns stuff all sorted out, thats not the issue. The question is whether the linux machine hostname has to resolve properly (i.e. MX, A records). I want the machine hostname to be something like mymailhost.company.com and the default zimbra server setup to be something like mail.company2.com.
    Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by chads View Post
    I have the dns stuff all sorted out, thats not the issue. The question is whether the linux machine hostname has to resolve properly (i.e. MX, A records). I want the machine hostname to be something like mymailhost.company.com and the default zimbra server setup to be something like mail.company2.com.
    Make sense?
    Yes, this makes sense and I'm having such a setup.

Create an A and MX record for mymailhost.company.com even if you'll never handle mail for that subdomain.

create an A and MX record for mail.company2.com and add company2.com with the admin console to your zimbra server.