DNS clarification needed.
Hello zimbra team and community, I have struggled a few days with the installation of 4.0.3, but without the necessary luck/skills to complete it.
It seems that my problems are strictly DNS related, and I have kindly been suggested to read the existing DNS related threads in the forum carefully. Among these I have read DNS in a nutshell.
Well I did read them, but none of the threads have lead to a full understanding of the DNS and Zimbra relation, nor have I found a thread which DNS issue description matches mine.
So... I will now describe my setup and my problems. And then I will write DNS in a nutshell part 2, because I believe that a situation like mine requires a better understanding of the need for a DNS (setup) during a Zimbra installation.
Server A (DNS server - ip q.q.q.q)
Server B (Webserver hosting mydomain.com - ip x.x.x.x)
Server C (Zimbra server with domain name mail.mydomain.com - ip y.y.y.y)
1) Do I need to have a bind server installed on Server C in order to satisfy ZCS ? Or can I just stick with my already configured DNS on Server A ?
2) The server A has an "A record" for mydomain.com called mail.mydomain.com where mail.mydomain.com points to server C with ip y.y.y.y - is this correct in zimbra terms ?
3) Server C (The zimbra server) must be a DNS master for it's own domain in this case: mail.mydomain.com ?
4) So the Zimbra server DNS is master for it's own domain, and just DNS cache for all other domains ?
5) What I am not sure of is wether the DNS server (Server A) should have mail.mydomain.com as a fully qualified domain and not just an "A record" under the domain mydomain.com. In other words; Do I need a full domain (mail.mydomain.com and mydomain.com will be seen as different domains) for the ZCS or can I just use a plain "A record" for the name mail.mydomain.com in the mydomain.com file ?
Sorry for my relative long list of questions but I really need some clarification, since I seem to misunderstand the terminolgy in the documentation.
Whenever I understand this DNS and Zimbra topic I will for sure post a bullet proof documentation for dummies
Thanks in advance, Best regards Daniel Mersebak