Thread: Installing on FC5 behind a firewall

Default Installing on FC5 behind a firewall

Hi All,
    I'm currently trying to install Zimbra behind a test IPCOP firewall and I need a little help please.

I have registered a sub domain a while back with my ISP (test.domain.com) which has no MX entry but all traffic sent to it (including SMTP) goes to the external interface of the IPCOP box. This then redirects the traffic based on port number to various systems internally.

Thus internally the Zimbra box has an IP of 192.168.x.x but externally it has the firewalls IP (and DNS name test.domain.com)

I must be missing something obvious but how do I tell the setup program & /etc/host entry what it needs to know so that it completes the install process. Every time I try to install it, it fails at the 'sldapd fails to start' stage.

Thanks,

Dom

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadDom
    ..... which has no MX entry but.................
    You've answered your own question. You need correct DNS records set for your zimbra server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadDom
    Hi All,

Thus internally the Zimbra box has an IP of 192.168.x.x but externally it has the firewalls IP (and DNS name test.domain.com)

I must be missing something obvious but how do I tell the setup program & /etc/host entry what it needs to know so that it completes the install process. Every time I try to install it, it fails at the 'sldapd fails to start' stage.

Dom
    The internal Zimbra box has only one network interface, correct? If so, then its IP is 192.168.x.x and must resolve via DNS to that IP. So, if, for example, your box is named zimbra.test.domain.com, nslookup should return zimbra.test.domain.com 192.168.x.x. If it doesn't... you will get errors.

I have a similar setup to you here at our clinic(OSS 4.0.3 ubuntu-dapper). On the Zimbra box, I installed and setup bind using the wiki as guidance. I commented out the namerserver lines in /etc/resolv.conf and added the line "nameserver 127.0.0.1". So, on the Zimbra box, nslookup will go to /etc/resolv.conf and see that it should go to 127.0.0.1 (the Zimbra box itself) for a DNS query. Bind is set up to return 192.168.x.x.

In /etc/hosts I have
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.x.x zimbra.test.domain.com zimbra
    192.168.x.y firewall.test.domain.com firewall

Mike

Thanks Mike,
    Yes the system has only one NIC with an IP of 192.168.x.x, a default gateway of the firewall, and a DNS pointer to my ISP's DNS server.

So it looks like I'll have to set-up the Zimbra box as it's own DNS server (as there is no internal DNS server in the shop). Then I need to get it to point to itself (127.0.0.1) instead of using my ISP's DNS server (which resolves test.domain.com to the external IP address). Correct?

Could I just use the host file instead of bind for this purpose?

(PS - Time zones are a pain!)

Dom

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

No, you need to use BIND as Zimbra requires proper DNS A & MX records pointing to your server - it should also point to your LAN IP and not 127.0.0.1 Search the forums for 'DNS In A Nutshell' for (very easy) details of how to set-up BIND.

Depending on how your system is set-up you may need a split-DNS on your system.
    Last edited by phoenix; 11-16-2006 at 03:28 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks Bill.... will do that and let you know how things go.

Dom