Thread: Broken mysqld for xen install in FC5

Default Broken mysqld for xen install in FC5

The mysqld in the 4.0.3 install (and probably others) is statically linked, which is great for most installs. But XEN installs require linking against a nosegneg libc version -- which is usually taken care of by dynamically linking against libc6. I found lots of information on nosegneg and XEN, but do not pretend to be an expert. I was chasing down the issue of the message "4gb seg fixup, process mysqld" which appears ins /var/log/messages.

My system appears to be running, but I am having some strange behavior with users not authenticating and ldap stopping.

Although in part I'm guessing, I believe that linking against a nosegneg version of libc6 will fix these problems and such a version will run in the non-XEN environment also. With some CPU's this may not be necessary -- namely the CPU's with the virtualization extension that allows Windows to run in XEN. I haven't dug deeper, but I suspect most of the exec are statically linked? I would hate do a source build, but I'm not afraid of it either.

Regarding my own environment, I am running Zimbra in a XEN virtual on FC5 with the latest patches for both the host and the guest OS. Both host and guest are FC5.

Again, I am just guessing about half of this -- but I'm not guessing about the other half.

bbaker

Default ldap auth

The user authentication issues was not related to the errors given by syslog. This issue was related to external LDAP configuration issues. The syslog messages are still a concern.

I just removed xen from one of our FC6 servers running in para-virtualised mode because of this error (we weren't using Xen yet on this machine). Where you running it para-virtualised or using full virtualisation? If you work out a solution (short of recompiling from source) I'd be very interested in the solution!

Paravirtualization. If I'm not mistaken, XEN can only do full virtualization if you have a particular (new) AMD or Intel CPU.

bbaker

There may be a relatively easy solution. The only process complaining about this configuration is mysqld. Why not use the mysql versions straight from Fedora? It would be dynamically linked, and hence run equally well under both the virtualized and non-virtualized environments.

Since Zimbra is being offered with versions specifically for FC4 and FC5, why doesn't Zimbra use dynamic linking for libc6?

bbaker