Thread: Can't Receive Mail on Fedora Core 6

Default Can't Receive Mail on Fedora Core 6

Here is my setup. Hopefully somebody can give me some ideas on what to do or check.

Last night I installed Zimbra Open Source on a Fedora Core 6 vmware virtual machine (mail.mydomain.com) running on a Win XP Host.

I started with the Open Source binaries for Fedora Core 5.

My mail system sits behind a firewall/NAT router (a pfSense box) that is connected to the Internet. The internet connection has a dynamic IP address, and I update this address with dynamic DNS using an address at dyndns.com (mygateway.dnsalias.net). I set up port forwarding on the firewall/router for a bunch of ports to mail.mydomain.com, including http, https, smtp, ldap, etc.

mail.mydomain.com has a static address behind the firewall of 192.168.1.2.

The name server for mydomain.com does not support dynamic DNS, so I set up the name server entries so that the MX record points to mygateway.dnsalias.net that is updated automatically by my firewall/router. For mail.mydomain.com I added a CNAME record that points to the mygateway.dnsalias.net address. Using this setup I can ping mail.mydomain.com and a mail agent seems to be able to find mail.mydomain.com.

Installation of Zimbra all went fine, although I was warned that the MX record did not match the addresses of any of my interfaces (I guess this would always happen if you use a firewall/router). Nevertheless, I told it to just use mydomain.com and it completed without incident.

The system came up fine, and now I can create accounts, login as either user or administrator, set options, etc.

The problem I have is with mail. Mail is not successfully received or sent, whether local to local, local to remote, or remote to local. Looking at the administrative interface, the mail seems to be stuck in the Zimbra queues with a "Connection Timed Out" message to the gateway.dnsalias.net address (presumably the MX address for salkind.com). The firewall logs show no dropped packets, however.

When I send or receive a message, nothing appears in the Zimbra log file in /opt/zimbra/logs/zimbra.log. However, I do see the MTA agent log messages in /var/spool/messages, so I know the SMTP connection has happened. I can manually connect to the mail.mydomain.com SMTP server from outside the firewall using telnet on port 25.

Any ideas?

I just tried doing

telnet gateway.dnsalias.nset 25

from my LAN (as opposed to from a machine outside the firewall), and I don't get a response. So I guess this is probably a problem with my pfSense firewall and not a Zimbra issue at this point. Sorry for the false alarm.

(It would be nice, though, if Zimbra somehow knew to use the localhost connection instead of the MX record/firewall address to avoid needless traffic.)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Zimbra needs to use DNS to resolve IP addresses. You may also have SElinux enabled, disabled it. Both of those items are covered extensively in the forums and in the documentation.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default No luck

Hi Bill,

I have all firewalls and SELinux disabled (I followed the instructions in the quick setup document exactly).

The telnet problem was a configuration issue on my firewall, which I have now fixed. Now if I do "telnet mail.mydomain.com 25" it works either within or outside the firewall.

Unfortunately the mail is still not being delivered to my inbox. Again, nothing is logged in zimbra.log, but the messages have clearly been sent looking at /var/spool/messages.

When you say I need to have DNS working, what do you mean exactly? The Linux DNS client is working fine. Do you mean I need to run a DNS name server on the same machine? Right now my DNS nameserver on the zimbra box is pointed at the DNS nameserver for my WAN connection.

Thanks.

yes, you'll need a local DNS server. The IP address that your domain name points to is probably your public IP? If so, Zimbra (postfix) needs to resolve the LAN IP of your server. Have a look at the Wiki document on split DNS: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Split_dns
    Regards

Bill

I do in fact have a public IP address different from the private IP address, so I will try the Split DNS (I saw that page last night, but wasn't sure it applied to me at the time).

I'll report back if there is still a problem--thanks for your help, Bill!

That should sort you out, let us know how you get on.
    Regards

Bill

Default That basically did it!

Thanks Bill for the help.

I installed the split DNS and it worked. However, there were some minor ommissions in the Wiki, since named.conf and the local name records really need to be stored in /var/named/chroot since the DNS server runs chroot on my machine. I have updated the Wiki page to reflect this--hopefully that is OK.

With these changes Zimbra cleared the mail queues, but mail still did not work and gave some kind of java exception. I decided to do a clean reinstall, since all the network parameters had changed so much.

Sure enough upon reinstalling the system with the correct network configuration, everything worked great! I am now able to use mail without any problems on Fedora Core 6 in a Vmware virtual machine running on an XP host.

Smile pfsense port number for zimbra outgoing

Hi lks,

i know its a pretty long time since you might have fixed this problem in your settings.

I recently have installed zimbra on deb5 os.
    I am not receiving any help from the forum yet. But i am assuming my problem is with pfsense. Could you share what ports did you set under WAN and DMZ for sending out emails through SMTP.

I am using Port 25 as the outgoing port destination to send out emails. I guess that would be the default.

My weird problem with zimbra is that i can send emails without attachments which are of like few kB, but i am unable to send any email with attachment, as the SMTP server sends a request timed out message.

Do you know if its the problem with the firewall not allowing to request to the server, or is it problem with zimbra installation.
    Any leads will be helpful n highly appreciated.

I could send any attachments of any size from outside the network. But nothing from inside.

Please let me know if you get to know something i'm missing. I can't either find any logs in zimbra.log to pin down the error as my logger too does not work.

Thanks in advance