Thread: Large Data Store setup questions

Default Large Data Store setup questions

I'm setting up a new Zimbra server virtual environment for 800 mailboxes with a maximum size of 6 GB per mail box.
    The attachment size limit is 20 MB due to sending ACAD drawings back and forth.
    Typically receive 100 messages per day per user and they send 10 to 20 messages out per user.

Using Rhel-server 5.8 and ZCS 7.1.4

Planned setup;
    2 VMware hosts
    2 LDAP servers
    2 MTA/Proxy servers
    6 Mailbox servers with 2 TB store per server.
    the mailbox servers with have 2 vCPUs and 16 GB RAM

1. What is the size limit for data stores?

2. Can you have more than 1 data store per mailbox server.

3. Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by BradRT View Post
    I'm setting up a new Zimbra server virtual environment for 800 mailboxes with a maximum size of 6 GB per mail box.
    The attachment size limit is 20 MB due to sending ACAD drawings back and forth.
    Typically receive 100 messages per day per user and they send 10 to 20 messages out per user.

Using Rhel-server 5.8 and ZCS 7.1.4

Planned setup;
    2 VMware hosts
    2 LDAP servers
    2 MTA/Proxy servers
    6 Mailbox servers with 2 TB store per server.
    the mailbox servers with have 2 vCPUs and 16 GB RAM

1. What is the size limit for data stores?

2. Can you have more than 1 data store per mailbox server.

3. Is there a better way?

Thanks for your help
    Brad
    I have a similar environment, except with far more generous limits (15-40GB mailboxes), in an architecture/engineering/PM industry. Growth is about 100GB/month.

1. This is more likely an OS limit rather than Zimbra limit, and you can add additional volumes when the initial set of disks runs out. But it sounds like you are using ESXi since you mention vCPU (I'm using 2TB iSCSI targets in an ESXi environment too), which means you are bumping into the ESXi 2TB iSCSI volume limit, rather the RHEL or Zimbra.

I haven't explored ESXi 5.0 yet (am currently on 4.1U2) to see if this limit is higher.

2. Per mailbox server, no. But as with (1) above, you can add additional volumes, when you start running out of space. Alternatively you can run the datastore on NFS, but Zimbra doesn't recommend this.

Just one thing to note; You probably don't want to run too many mail servers, to take advantage of the deduplication of emails that cyrus does (I don't think cyrus dedup across servers).

FYI I only have 2 LDAP+MTA proxies, and 3 mail servers. Load is quite light considering I have in general about 500+ IMAP sessions (remember that IMAP clients, e.g. thunderbird, will open ~5 sessions per client) and about 50-100 web sessions per mail server.
    Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition

Lightbulb

1. This is more likely an OS limit rather than Zimbra limit, and you can add additional volumes when the initial set of disks runs out. But it sounds like you are using ESXi since you mention vCPU (I'm using 2TB iSCSI targets in an ESXi environment too), which means you are bumping into the ESXi 2TB iSCSI volume limit, rather the RHEL or Zimbra.
    You could aggregate the external LUNS via Linux LVM to create larger logical volumes.
    pvcreate "LUN1"
    pvcreate "LUN1"
    vgcreate mailgroup "LUN1" "LUN2"
    lvcreate -l 100%FREE -n mailvolume /dev/mailgroup

later you can add "LUN3" and do an online grow of the mailstore.
    by
    pvcreate "LUN3"
    vgextend mailgroup "LUN3"
    lvextend -l 100%FREE -n /dev/mailgroup/mailvolume
    resize2fs /dev/mailgroup/mailvolume

Where "LUN1","LUN2" and "LUN3" should be substituted with actual device paths
    Current specs:
    8.x NE + OSS KVM guests and Physical servers Ubuntu 12.04, RHEL 5 + 6 .
    on Dell server hardware.

Previously: ZCS OSS and NE 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 variously on physical and virtual
    Twitter: @mciverza

ypong and apatosaur.9 are correct.

I run ESXi 4.1 and my LUNs are limited to 2TB max each. Linux LVM can get around this limitation as apatosaur.9 mentioned. You just treat each LUN as a new hard drive that gets added into the available LVM space.

However, in regards to #3, is there a better way, I'm gonna have to say yes. There are several other ways to share large files. Email mailboxes are not a good medium for storing large files.

Which solutions are best for your scenario completely depends on the people sharing the files, how they are needing to share (workflow) and where they are located (same LAN, multiple WANs, separate companies, etc.)

The way I explain it to my users makes it easy for them to understand why attaching a file to an email tends to be a bad thing. For example, a person in HR decides to send out a phone list (Excel spreadsheet, 1MB) to 300 people. That means 300 copies of that file are now sitting on the server (300 MB). Jane Doe tells you about an update that needs to be made asap. HR sends out another copy...another 300 MB. Now there is 600 MB sitting on the server and now another 600 MB on our offsite recovery server...which then gets multiplied everytime a full backup is made. We soon have DVD-sized storage requirements for a single 1MB file and to top it off, 1/2 of those files are outdated and wasting space.

If your users can save the file on a common network location, they can email links to the file. This will keep eliminate all the redundant copies and if Jane Doe has you make the update fast enough, many people that pull up the file to print it out will have the updated information.

Now if the users of your mail server are scattered around the globe, you might want to look into a file-sharing service...there are tons of them.

One option is to make use of an FTP site (in-house or outscored). Permissions can be setup so that some people have access to update certain folders/files while others only have read-only access to them and so on.

Another service is Dropbox where you designate a folder on your PC that will be copied to the Internet. Others can be given access which will copy it down to their PC and keep them in sync. I think Google just released a similar file sharing service too.

LHammonds
    Type su - zimbra -c "zmcontrol -v" to get your version and copy that into your profile (more info here)