Thread: Default domain name

Hybrid View

Default Default domain name

I"ve recently put up the Open Source version of Zimbra for testing purposes to see if it might work as a good mailserver/webmail alternative for many of our users. We have several different domains registered, all having their own seperate userbase.

One of the issues that I havn't been able to figure out is regarding how to set the default domain name for the domain. WHen I installed Zimbra it set the default domain to something like server1.mydomain.com. So now whenever I send an email out as my user it shows up in the inbox as awilisch@server1.mydomain.com when it needs to just show up as awilisch@mydomain.com. I've looked through all the settings and havn't found a place to tell it that any user that's created in this domain should have a default domain name of @mydomain.com.

I know I can tell sendmail to strip off the domain and replace it, but I would think a mailserver of this caliber would be able to set this function. Am I just missing it, or once you create the domain is that pretty much it? Seems like a bit of a waste to create a new domain called @mydomain.com when all I need to do is tell it to not add the hostname.

Any help is appreciated. I'm sure it's something I just missed.

Thanks much.
    Regards,
    Aric Wilisch

In the admin console you need to setup the domain. Then you will have to change all of your users over to use that domain. Lastly you need to execute a zmprov command:

zmprov mcf zimbraDefaultDomainName mydomain.com

FYI During initial installation the default domain is listed under the ldap configuration menu.

Main menu

1) Hostname: host.example.com
    2) Ldap master host: host.example.com
    3) Ldap port: 389
    4) Ldap password: set
    5) zimbra-ldap: Enabled
    6) zimbra-store: Enabled

Address unconfigured (**) items (? - help) 5

Ldap configuration

1) Status: Enabled
    2) Create Domain: yes
    3) Domain to create: host.example.com
    Select, or 'r' for previous menu [r] 3

Create Domain: [host.example.com] example.com

Ldap configuration

1) Status: Enabled
    2) Create Domain: yes
    3) Domain to create: example.com
    Select, or 'r' for previous menu [r]

Default Fresh Install and Default Domain Name

Hi,

I have installed Zimbra many times in different test configurations and that all works dandy, but the part I always seem to have to do is to define an additional domain as @mydomain.com because Zimbra always defaults to the FQDN or host name of the server.

I followed the above instructions on a fresh install but neither has seemed to work for me to define my default domain as @mydomain.com.

Any tips?

Thanks.

maybe you have an MX record for the hostname instead of (or in addition to) the mail domain, in which case the setup won't prompt with "It is suggested that the domain name have an MX record configured in DNS"

at any rate, once you have a domain that suits you, set it as the default domain. this will create a fresh domain and make it the default:

zmprov createDomain shiny.example.com
    zmprov modifyConfig zimbraDefaultDomainName shiny.example.com

Default Single Domain

Bobby thanks for the reply but I am not sure I understand you.

Quote Originally Posted by intekular View Post
    Hi,

I have installed Zimbra many times in different test configurations and that all works dandy, but the part I always seem to have to do is to define an additional domain as @mydomain.com because Zimbra always defaults to the FQDN or host name of the server.

I followed the above instructions on a fresh install but neither has seemed to work for me to define my default domain as @mydomain.com.

Any tips?

Thanks.
    This happens because you are missing a step in the installation. Before you get to this menu it does DNS check to see if there is an MX record for your hostname, usually there isn't an MX for a host so the installation will stop and ask you a question if you are sure you want to create that domain. When in fact the domain doesn't exist it is just a host. This when you specify your actual domain.