Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No incoming email

Default No incoming email

Clean install on FC3 (minimal then added curl, libidn & fetchmail). All appears to be working. Mail sent out from Zimbra web client gets received. Mail sent to itself gets received.

Mail from outside Zimbra does not get received. MX record is mail.csiyk.com. Zimbra server hostname is zimbra.csiyk.com. Default domain on server is csiyk.com.

Must be missing something. I have not changed anything from defuals other than disabled non-secure items (ie only SSL for POP and IMAP). I think my problem is with MTA settings. Default web mail MTA is "localhost".

Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Kirby Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by globalstorm
    Mail from outside Zimbra does not get received. MX record is mail.csiyk.com. Zimbra server hostname is zimbra.csiyk.com. Default domain on server is csiyk.com.
    Does mail.csyik.com know to relay incoming messages to zimbra.csiyk.com?

Parden my mail ignorance:
    Is this done via MX records or the Zimbra server? How about of I change the MX record to zimbra.csiyk.com?

Edit: note mail.csiyk.com MX record points to the IP address of the Zimbra server. They are the same system.

Cheers
    Kirby
    Last edited by globalstorm; 10-31-2005 at 04:35 PM.

what does /var/log/maillog say (and/or /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log), around the time the message arrives from external source? Is there a bounce message sent back at all?

/var/log/maillog:
    Oct 31 13:12:01 zimbra sendmail[1820]: alias database /etc/aliases rebuilt by root
    Oct 31 13:12:01 zimbra sendmail[1820]: /etc/aliases: 78 aliases, longest 10 bytes, 802 bytes total
    Oct 31 13:12:01 zimbra sendmail[1846]: starting daemon (8.13.1): SMTP+queueing@01:00:00
    Oct 31 13:12:01 zimbra sm-msp-queue[1855]: starting daemon (8.13.1): queueing@01:00:00

zimbra.log is empty

All mails (eg to kirby@csiyk.com) get bounced. Checked dnsreports.com on csiyk.com. Can not connect to mail server mail.csiyk.com. Is maill server mail.csiyk.com or zimbra.csiyk.com?

Cheers
    Kirby

why is your box running sendmail, instead of the postfix that came with Zimbra? Is that the problem?

No idea. I installed FC3 without mail server package but sendmail got installed anyway. When installing Zimbra it asked to shut down sendmail. I also ran chkconfig sendmail off. I have since uninstalled and reinstalled Zimbra. I set the host name to match my MX record mail.csiyk.com. Same reslut. Can send mail OK, nothing coming in.

The server is behind a fireall. I am allowing DNS, SMTP, SSL, SSH, HTTPS in/out to the server.

EDIT I just checked, sendmail is not running (ps -ef |grep sendmail). The /var/log messages are left over from previous install.

Cheers
    Kirby
    Last edited by globalstorm; 10-31-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Started with a clean slate:
    FC3 minimal with RPN libidn, curl & fetchmail
    Hosts file has: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localhostdomain
    207.*.*.* mail.csiyk.com mail
    System behind firewall with all blocked except:
    DNS, HTTPS, LDAP_Auth, SMTP_Auth, SSH, SSL -- in & out
    SMTP -- out only
    All services use standard ports (not the Zimbra mapped ports)
    Zimbra config has default domain as mail.csiyk.com
    MX record is mail.csiyk.com. It is setup properly in DNS, but dnsstuff.com can not connect to the mail server.

Mail goes out, mail sent to local user goes in & out.
    No mail comes in form outside Zimbra - all gets bounced.
    You can try sending email to kirby@mail.csiyk.com to see bounce message.

My problem has not changed - still no email coming in. My best guess is that the problem is either:
    1. firewall related, or
    2. something to do with mail server name eg domain is mail.csiyk.com, so is mail server (internally mail.mail.csiyk.com)??? Normally a domain is domain.com and mail server is mail.domain.com, so what happens when the domain name is mail.domain.com???

Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Kirby

You need SMTP in. Can you telnet to port 25 from outside? If not this is your problem.

kirby, I emailed the address you specified 5 minutes ago, still no bounce? Looks like it might be working now?