Thread: cPanel, Zimbra Help needed

Question cPanel, Zimbra Help needed

Hello,

I really like Zimbra, and wish to install it.

But i have a server running cPanel.

I have root access on the server though,

Is there any one that have the time to maybe help me install it on the linux / cPanel system.

Thanks

it is possible to install cpanel (with apache, exim) on the same server as zimbra.

if your server is managed, then open a support ticket with your host and request that they install it for you.

i know that pplayerz has done this. (he had cpanel listening on 1 ip address, and zimbra listening on another).

this is a very general description and i can provide a more detailed one if you require it.

Hello,

If possible could you explain in more detail on install Zimbra with cPanel.

Thank you

Default Cpanel

Hi,

I have RH3 and tried installing, but I think I screwed something up, it didn't complete all the way.

Any tricks I need to do?

:/

Default More info

Where and how did it fail? Can you post the output, or the install.log file in /tmp?

These folks managed to take a similar product, RoundCube, and make it totally work on cPanel seamlessly:

HostGeekZ.com :: Install RoundCube on cPanel

Perhaps the same thing can be done for Zimbra? I have a user that would like it installed on our cPanel server.

I would strongly recommend against trying to run both Zimbra and cPanel in the same Linux installation. Both Zimbra and cPanel state that only standard base installations of the supported Linux variants are supported, so you'll not get support from cPanel if it is installed on "CentOS + Zimbra" instead of just plain CentOS and the same for support for Zimbra - running the two on top of each other adds a large number of variables that the support teams won't want to spend time investigating when the man-power can be better used supporting the officially supported environments or improving the product and documentation.

If you manage to get them working with the same versions of the "shared" components then you'll have fun and games when [not if, when] a cPanel or Zimbra update updates/changes/reconfigures one of those components to something the other isn't compatible with. Get the two working together by managing to install two different versions of everything and making sure cPanel and Zimbra talk the the right instances is theoretically possible, but probably difficult and there are many opportunities to completely mess up one or both and lose everything.

If your server has enough RAM I would suggest that you try a virtualisation solution instead - that way the Zimbra and cPanel will not impact each other at all. There is a performance hit for running in a VM, usually in the form of an I/O performance hit though the exact nature this varies depending on your chosen VM technology, but if your server is beefy enough you should be fine. I can only speak for UML, which I use for the VMs on the server I run Zimbra on, but other solutions [xen, vmware, ...] should work just as well. I have run both cPanel and Zimra in UML based VMs with no serious issues that were due to the VM cPanel's monitoring tools did not seem to like the fact that load average readings are not meaningful under UML, and there were a number of cPanel bugs that got on my nerves not relating to it running in a VM, and run UML VMs on a host that ran cPanel directly. Caveat: I stopped using cPanel some time ago when I stopped trying to compete in the saturated hosting market, and have hosted web sites for myself/friends/family in a hand-rolled Debian based web+sql server since, so my cPanel knowledge is likely to be somewhat out-of-date.

One other note: make sure that you have more than one IP address allocated to your server, as you'll need Zimbra to listen for connections on a different address to cPanel or mail will only get through to one of them not both [and you'd have to run the http(s) interfaces of one of Zimbra on non-standard ports].
    Last edited by dspillett; 07-07-2008 at 08:14 AM.

I look forward to the day when stuff just works.

Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    I look forward to the day when stuff just works.
    Nah. When that happens I'm out of a job!