Thread: Can this server specs work with Zimbra 7.2GA open source?

Hybrid View

Question Can this server specs work with Zimbra 7.2GA open source?

Hi everyone,

I am new to Zimbra Mail Client, got to know about this from few vendors.

Right now for our business, we are using Google Apps for Business edition. We have a small team now of 10 people but we plan to scale our workforce to 100 by next year.

I am looking for the right email solution, starting with open source. Eventually move up to enterprise if there is a need.

I have a current underutilized server, and thinking to install Zimbra with it.

I plan to install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bits and then Zimbra 7.2 GA release. Are the specs below sufficient for the installation and usage up to 100 users?

Processor, memory all okay? Or should I get virtualized sever? I will use this server dedicated only for Zimbra and nothing else.

- Intel platform with single-socket quad-core processor in 1U rackmountable server system
    - 1 x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E3-1230 3.20Ghz processor
    - 5.0GTI, 8Mb Intel Smart Cache, DMI, Hyper-Threading, Intel
    Turbo Boost 2.0, Intel Virtualization (VT-x) & (VT-d) Technology - Intel C202 PCH chipset
    - 4Gb ECC DDR3 1333Mhz memory
    - 1 x 500Gb 3.5", 6Gb/s, 7.2K rpm SATA Enterprise HDDs
    - 2 x GbE Intel Ethernet LAN ports
    - Integrated Onboard Graphic Controller with VGA port
    - Integrated IPMI 2.0 with Dedicated IPMI LAN port with
    remote iKVM
    - 250W High Efficent PSU
    - Rackmount Rail Kit included
    - OS not included
    - 3 Years Standard Product Warranty

If you have a better recommendations, please let me know and I will go with buy something better. If the above can be used, that's even better.

Any help from this forum? Thanks in advance.

Without knowing your SLA requirements and your actual load/day (there's a big difference in resource requirements between getting 1,000 emails a day versus 10,000), the very first thing I would say is to at least run 2x HDDs in RAID1, so that failure of one HDD doesn't take your server down instantly. You might want to increase the RAM, since you can also configure the AV to use a tmpfs (i.e. a RAM disk), and Zimbra does use java so that tends to chew memory.

Other than that, your setup should work fine for a small installation, I have one setup using an old IBM 3650 (Xeon 5420) to run VMware ESXi with an Ubuntu 10.04x64 guest with 4GB of RAM, 2 vCPU and also SATA disks for ~40 people, who predominantly use the webmail interface (I have another setup for > 1000 accounts using multiple ldap, proxy and mailstore servers, with separate AV/AS, but that's another story).
    Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition

Quote Originally Posted by ypong View Post
    Without knowing your SLA requirements and your actual load/day (there's a big difference in resource requirements between getting 1,000 emails a day versus 10,000), the very first thing I would say is to at least run 2x HDDs in RAID1, so that failure of one HDD doesn't take your server down instantly. You might want to increase the RAM, since you can also configure the AV to use a tmpfs (i.e. a RAM disk), and Zimbra does use java so that tends to chew memory.

Other than that, your setup should work fine for a small installation, I have one setup using an old IBM 3650 (Xeon 5420) to run VMware ESXi with an Ubuntu 10.04x64 guest with 4GB of RAM, 2 vCPU and also SATA disks for ~40 people, who predominantly use the webmail interface (I have another setup for > 1000 accounts using multiple ldap, proxy and mailstore servers, with separate AV/AS, but that's another story).
    Noted and thanks. I think per day email is around 500 emails (around 10 employees). We could always upgrade to better servers when we scale bigger workforce

Is it necessary to install via VMWare ESXi? Can I install ubuntu 10.04 LTS directly to the server and then zimbra?

What's the benefits to install on VMWare? Looks weird, 1 server with 1 VMWare but 1 virtual machine with ubuntu and zimbra? Hmm?

Any help? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ericmachine View Post
    Noted and thanks. I think per day email is around 500 emails (around 10 employees). We could always upgrade to better servers when we scale bigger workforce

Is it necessary to install via VMWare ESXi? Can I install ubuntu 10.04 LTS directly to the server and then zimbra?

What's the benefits to install on VMWare? Looks weird, 1 server with 1 VMWare but 1 virtual machine with ubuntu and zimbra? Hmm?

Any help? Thanks.
    No, it's not necessary for you; I was just giving an example of a shared system (I'm running 3 virtual guests on that server, of which only one is the email system) which could still handle the load.
    Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition