Thread: Activate spam detection for outbound emails

Hybrid View

Default Activate spam detection for outbound emails

Hello All,

Installed Zimbra CS community edition Release 7.1.3_GA_3346.RHEL6_64_20110928134428 for RHEL 6 64 bit.
    This installation is going to be used only as Smart Host for our exchange server. It will not receive any incoming emails or send emails from the users directly.
    All the users are going to be on exchange and they would send the emails using exchange and exchange in itself would use Zimbra as Smart Host to send the emails to the outside world.
    My requirement is to check all the outbound emails from Zimbra for Spam and AV and enable anti-spamming in such a way that it will scan for the subject line and block the emails from going out if it matches certain patterns.
    Is this functionality available with Zimbra MTA? And if this is possible, how do I enable and configure outbound anti-spam scanning?

My initial thought is that installing ZCS for use as a smart host relay is really overkill. I guess in one respect it does provide a relatively easy way to install a bunch of the Open Source components that you could use for this purpose, like postfix, amavisd, clamav, etc., but it is really meant to be used as a full collaboration suite replacing something like Exchange. I think in the long run you will end up with a lot of things running on your server that you don't need and it will make administering the server for your needs more difficult. You would be better off searching for documentation on setting up a postfix AS/AV gateway; there are a lot of good ones out there. Others may have differing opinions, but that's my 2 cents.

I agree with soxfan; given the load involved in scanning both incoming and outgoing emails, I've moved to using an external AS/AV to lesson the load on the zimbra servers. You could use e.g. start [Mailcleaner] (this is what I'm using for ~1000 users) or mxHero - email better (I evaluated an earlier version, which didn't suit my purpose, but they've made a lot of changes since, I've just not had a chance to relook).
    Release 7.2.0_GA_2669.UBUNTU10_64 UBUNTU10_64 FOSS edition