Thread: Sending mail with attachment

Default Sending mail with attachment

I've had a lot of users complain about not being able to attach documents larger than 1mb. We are running GA 4.0.3 and on the client I'm using Firefox 2.0 and Windows XP. I tested with an 8mb file and I received the following error:
    Could not send message: mail.SEND_FAILURE
    msg - SMTP server reported: 552 Error: message too large
    com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException: SMTP server reported: 552 Error: message too large
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException.interna l_SEND_FAILURE(MailServiceException.java:341)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException.SEND_FA ILURE(MailServiceException.java:353)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(M ailSender.java:274)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(M ailSender.java:119)
    at com.zimbra.cs.operation.SendMsgOperation.callback( SendMsgOperation.java:73)
    at com.zimbra.cs.operation.Operation.schedule(Operati on.java:190)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.SendMsg.handle(SendMsg. java:109)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:261)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:162)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:84)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:223)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:709)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:173)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:802)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(A ccessLogValve.java:541)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11 ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProt ocol.java:667)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.process Socket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThr ead.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlR unnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 552 Error: message too large

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueSendCommand(S MTPTransport.java:1333)
    at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.finishData(SMTPTra nsport.java:1160)
    at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTr ansport.java:538)
    at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:151)
    at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:80)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailSender.sendMimeMessage(M ailSender.java:192)
    ... 26 more

code - mail.SEND_FAILURE
    method - ZmCsfeCommand.prototype.invoke
    detail - soap:Sender
    data - [object Object]
    Also, when attaching a file to a notebook, the browser seems to be uploading the file and then the process "completes". The dialog box asking me to browse to the file closes and I'm returned to my page. However, the file isn't attached. The server has about 12GB of RAM and is running only zimbra. No other services are offered by this server. I've searched the admin console for something about limiting attachment size and could find nothing that would be causing an issue. Ideas?

Seems the message limit is stored in the MTA global settings and not under "attachments". Raised the limit and I think things are working now...