Thread: Desktop Client Confusion

Hybrid View

Default Desktop Client Confusion

Hi Folks,

I have a working Zimbra (OCS) server and it is impressive. I have configured Outlook to transact e-mail both POP and IMAP and this all works in all particulars. This leaves Contacts, Calendar and Tasks. Obviously these are readily available through the web interface, and I have not yet tried Zimbra Desktop, but my question is Outlook. Does Outlook have access to Zimbra Contacts, Calendar and Tasks similarly to the way Exchange works or is this only available with the Zimbra Outlook Connector? Do ANY clients (Outlook, Evolution, Kmail, Korganizer, ...) have access to all of Zimbra Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks? This is important because there is an interim period of transition from Exchange to Zimbra and I am counting on Outlook to manage the migration. During this period some users will have been migrated and some will not yet, but they must still be able to have access to the current data.

Thanks for the help,

Chris.

Not sure about Tasks, but Contacts are accessible via CardDav and Calendars via iCal / CalDav. Many desktop clients support this, but since I've had the pleasure of saying goodbye to Outlook a long time ago, I'm not sure how Outlook deals with those. If you need another fat-client I'd suggest Zimbra Desktop, as it will "just work" with ZCS, no need for special configuration / plugins etc.

Outlook will work if you install a caldav/carddav plugin.
    Bynari » Download

Also Evolution, Thunderbird (Zindus plugin) and eM Client (For Windows) works just fine.