Thread: Zimbra with FreeBSD+Sendmail+PostgreSQL

Default Zimbra with FreeBSD+Sendmail+PostgreSQL

Is there any chance of being able to deploy Zimbra on FreeBSD along with Sendmail and PostgreSQL rather than Postfix and MySQL?

Just getting it built on FreeBSD would be a start. Any chance of doing this?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The quick answer to postgres & sendmail is no, Postfix & MySQL are integrated in Zimbra and would be a major redesign to replace them. You can search the forums to see what's been done to port Zimbra to freeBSD, you will of course have to build it yourself.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The quick answer to postgres & sendmail is no, Postfix & MySQL are integrated in Zimbra and would be a major redesign to replace them. You can search the forums to see what's been done to port Zimbra to freeBSD, you will of course have to build it yourself.
    If you don't mind me saying so, I think the design is flawed if you are producing open source software but dictating which SMTP and SQL servers people should use with it. In a standards based development environment it should be possible to design generic interfaces to interoperate with any software complying with those standards.
    Last edited by jpolt; 01-02-2007 at 08:08 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jpolt View Post
    If you don't mind me saying so, I think the design is flawed if you are producing open source software but dictating which SMTP and SQL servers people should use with it. In a standards based development environment it should be possible to design generic interfaces to interoperate with an software complying with those standards.
    I don't mind you saying that at all, I don't agree with you but hey it's called free speech. This product is given to you freely by Zimbra, they already produce several versions for linux boxes but they can't support all the versions out there. The design is based on the fact they need to sell software to pay the bills, I'm sure if you offered them some cash they would rewrite it for you but if you can't do that then it is open source so feel free to do it yourself.

These arguments/discussions have been covered many times in the forums, if you had bothered to search you would have found the answers as to why the product is designed the way it is.
    Last edited by phoenix; 01-02-2007 at 08:12 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.