Thread: Mailing Lists

Hybrid View

Default Mailing Lists

I've just learnt about Zimbra, and I am very impressed. I am now looking at replacing our current mail setup with Zimbra, testing, etc. And I must say so far so good. I have one issue that I was hoping someone could clarify... The mailing lists function of Zimbra... is it an actually mailing list application like Mailman, or ezmlm. Because from just the way you administer the mailing list and the way it acts, it just seems like it is just an alias for a bunch of email address. So I guess what I'm asking is, if I want to be able to manage the mailing list with subscriptions, moderators, etc do I need to install a separate Mailing List Manager or is the functionality already there I just haven't found it?

Default mailing list v. distribution list

What we have is more of a distribution list than a full mailing list manager - for that (self subscription, digests, moderation, etc) you'll need to install a separate piece of software.

This has come up in internal discussions, but it's not (yet) on our immediate roadmap.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac View Post
    What we have is more of a distribution list than a full mailing list manager - for that (self subscription, digests, moderation, etc) you'll need to install a separate piece of software.

This has come up in internal discussions, but it's not (yet) on our immediate roadmap.

Hi Marcman,
    Can you tell what seperate piece of software's are available for integrating a full mailing list manager in zimbra

Default Mailing List v Dist List

Ah okay. Thank you for the clarification.
    Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bare a bit of my ignorance and curiosity. What is the difference between a distribution list and mailing list. Is it just that a Mailing List is self/moderator administered. And a dist list is moderator administered, and the dist list doesn't require a subscription? Meaning anyone can send mail to it?
    Thanks in advanced.

Default dist list

The line is somewhat fuzzy.

A distribution list is just an alias for a set of email addresses. They may or may not have controls on who can send to them (zimbra currently does not). They generally don't include moderation.

A mailing list may be moderated, or not, offer digest services, etc - but is generally more managed, and almost always includes self-subscription or unsubscription.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac View Post
    The line is somewhat fuzzy.

A distribution list is just an alias for a set of email addresses. They may or may not have controls on who can send to them (zimbra currently does not). They generally don't include moderation.

A mailing list may be moderated, or not, offer digest services, etc - but is generally more managed, and almost always includes self-subscription or unsubscription.
    Another major difference is that mailing list software will set the Reply-To on all messages sent to the list, to the mailing list address. Replies to mailing list messages then go back to the mailing list. Keeps threads/conversations as part of the list, for all to read.

A distribution list just sends a copy of the original message to each address is the list. When they reply to messages, they go back to the original sender and not back to the list. It's basically just for sending (distributing) messages out to a group of people. Think of it like contact groups in Outlook.

However, one can use header_checks in postfix to search the To: header for a list address, and prepend a Reply-To: header with the address of the list. Not quite as seemless or easy to manage as a true mailing list manager, but it "works".
    Last edited by fcash; 01-24-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    Freddie

Hi,

We've got some problems with mailman and its zimbra integration since we've migrate from 4.5.6 to 5.0.1.
    We updated the zimbra-apache conf and check the different mailman options, but we still have the postfix problem:
    "I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below"

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks.

David