Thread: FYI Zimbra 4.5RC1 works on OpenSuSE10.2

Default FYI Zimbra 4.5RC1 works on OpenSuSE10.2

You do have to hack get_plat_tag.sh.

Quote Originally Posted by tgx View Post
    You do have to hack get_plat_tag.sh.
    I am a beginner ... could you be more specific ? Actually I am looking to install it on a openSuse 10.1

well,. i just gave this a look and..
    zimbra community edition 4.5 ga can be hacked by:

1- unpack the zimbra zipped tar ball
    2- go to bin directroy
    3- fireup your favorite editor
    4- search for "SUSE LINUX 10.0" and change it to "SUSE LINUX 10.2"
    5- go back to the root directory of the unpacked tar ball and commence installation byt typing ./install.sh

regards
    BL

Quote Originally Posted by piti View Post
    I am a beginner ... could you be more specific ? Actually I am looking to install it on a openSuse 10.1

Exclamation error on GA

Hi there,

I really appreciate the help, but I downloaded the final version (GA) of 4.5 and the installation fails.
    zimbra-core......zimbra-core-4.5.0_GA_612.SuSE10-20070115191957.i386.rpm...FAILED
    ###ERROR###

I did hack the get_plat_tag.sh and had to change the line in question to
    grep "openSUSE 10.2" /etc/SuSE-release > /dev/null 2>&1

but with no success... I have openSuse10.2 installed in a VMWare workstation because I wanted to make sure it works before I upgraded.

Did I need to use the RC1 ?

thank you,

Adrian

Can you post your install log?

Default Success, Finally!!!

Please see the installation log bellow:

Preparing packages for installation...
    zimbra-core-4.5.0_GA_612.SuSE10-20070115191957
    zimbra 0 off 1 off 2 off 3 on 4 off 5 on 6 off
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/opt/zimbra/.ssh': File exists
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    Could not reserve enough space for object heap
    Could not create the Java virtual machine.
    error: %post(zimbra-core-4.5.0_GA_612.SuSE10-20070115191957.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

After posting the message I looked at the log and didn't know if the error was the installation script not being able to delete/create /opt/zimbra/.ssh or the 'could not reserve enough space for object heap' so I have shut down the machine, setup Vmware to 512 or ram, from 256 and deleted manually the folder it was having the problem with. Also from my previous experiences, I knew that the installation script has a bug in it and changes the permission of the /etc/sudoers to read only (440) and then at one point in the installation complains about it not being 640 so I have constantly changed the permissions on the file while the installer was going.

All in all, now, finally , after 6 months of trying I have finally got this application installed... amazing ! It looks promising but I really wish they would make the installation script for a wider variety of Linuxes...

Thank you to everyone that helped me along the way, and keep watching the forums because I just installed on a test VM, now the real work begins :-)

thank you,
    Adrian.

Glad it's working!

greetz

dunno why it fails if you have less memory for i have so far not noticed any checks for allocated ram,

my test installation has been on a vmware server with an alocated 512mb for now and 1gb when in production (barelly a handfull would be using it a day and if ever two concurrently)

i had similar issues by getting the core to install, i dont know what i did but this i know how the installation differed from my previous tests.

i installed the plain basic default suse installation with the minimum graphics interface (fvwm). after the whole installation was complete i added fetchmail
    when all was done, made sure that the system as is was uptodate and then firedup the zimbra installation. all went well from then on, only probs i had were dns related because i had a missconfiguration in the dns settings of my dns servers none related to zimbra itself.

thou this was a tweaked installation, zimbra ought to give more attention to distro versions. otherwise to the like of others, they would be forcing me to use particular distros whcih then again wouldnt be that "open source".

regards
    BL

Quote Originally Posted by piti View Post
    Hi there,

I really appreciate the help, but I downloaded the final version (GA) of 4.5 and the installation fails.
    zimbra-core......zimbra-core-4.5.0_GA_612.SuSE10-20070115191957.i386.rpm...FAILED
    ###ERROR###

I did hack the get_plat_tag.sh and had to change the line in question to
    grep "openSUSE 10.2" /etc/SuSE-release > /dev/null 2>&1

but with no success... I have openSuse10.2 installed in a VMWare workstation because I wanted to make sure it works before I upgraded.

Did I need to use the RC1 ?

thank you,

Adrian