Thread: server install option

Hybrid View

Default server install option

so are you saying that I can only install this on a server that has been set up with Fedora or RedHat? Howabout just a basic Linux box?

_hd

Quote Originally Posted by djhd
    so are you saying that I can only install this on a server that has been set up with Fedora or RedHat? Howabout just a basic Linux box?
    With RedHat or Fedora installed, you do have a basic Linux box :-)

Out of the box, as of the current beta version, there are binary packages provided that work on those two distros.

They've been kind enough to provide a tarball with the source for anyone interested in making it work on other distros... there are details instructions for making it work on Debian in this forum, and I'm pretty sure I saw someone saying they got it working on Gentoo.

As time allows, they'll release fully supported binary packages for other distros, but they can only do so much at any given time :-)

If you don't want to install it on Fedora or RedHat (and CentOS works as well), and you don't want to make it work on another distro on your own, then the best thing to do is voice your opinion on what distro you'd like to see it available on by voting in this poll:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=distro
    -Eric

Default what is my server OS?

my domain is www.harryduran.com, and am trying to figure out if I'm running plain Linux. If so, can I install Zimbra. I know some basic SSH using Putty, and I've worked with files that way before, but when I unzipped the .tgz file, there was no 'zcs' directory created. It created ZimbraBuilder, and some others.

What's that web site that tells you what server a website is running?

If you have a supported version there will be a /etc/redhat-release file. You can open this file to see your version of Red Hat/Fedora. If you don't even have that file then you don't have the right OS.

my domain is www.harryduran.com, and am trying to figure out if I'm running plain Linux. If so, can I install Zimbra. I know some basic SSH using Putty, and I've worked with files that way before, but when I unzipped the .tgz file, there was no 'zcs' directory created. It created ZimbraBuilder, and some others.
    Okay, it looks like you are using a web hosting company, phpwebhosting.com. The way Zimbra works, you actually really would want to have root on your server, as Zimbra needs to run a mail, pop, and imap server, as well as setting up iptables.

What you could do is email the admins, and ask them to set it up for everyone.

They would be sure to know what Linux distribution they are running. There isn't actually a plain Linux, any Linux installation is associated with a distribution like RedHat, Fedora, Debian, Gentoo, and the like. So, they should be able to determine if it'll work on their systems. Further, there are some unofficial guides for making it work on non-standard distributions, such as Debian.

What's that web site that tells you what server a website is running?
    You're thinking of netcraft.com. I looked, as sometimes it is able to determine what distribution is being run... unfortunatly in this case, it does not. So, you might just have to bug your admins about all this :-)
    -Eric

Default found linux version

I e-mailed admin and they said that I'm running RedHat 7.3

I e-mailed admin and they said that I'm running RedHat 7.3
    Yeah, unfortunatly, RedHat 7.3 is a fairly old distribution (about 4 years).

Getting Zimbra to work on it, while possible, is going to be an uphill battle :-)

The precompiled binaries are not at all likely to work. You'd really have to use the source and compile it. There have been many reports of that working just fine for other Linux distributions.

The best thing to do would be to point your admins to this site, and say that they've got some really cool stuff here and that you think all their customers would want to see Zimbra installed on their host :-)

Since Zimbra acts as a web, email, pop, and imap server, you really need to have root access on the machine you want to install it on, I don't think you'd have much luck installing it as a non-root user. So, just bug your admins, I think they'd be fairly impressed if they took a few minutes to check it out.

Good luck,
    -Eric

Default Redhat 7.3

I don't know off the top of my head when 7.3 was last updated - but for security reasons alone, whether or not you decide to run ZCS - you should have that box updated.