Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRONMAIDEN 8.0.3 ported to FreeBSD

Hybrid View

Default IRONMAIDEN 8.0.3 ported to FreeBSD

zcs-8.0.4-FreeBSD-9.1_amd64 packages, r5718, just download, extract and run "./FreeBSD_amd64.install.sh".

zcs-8.0.3-FreeBSD-9.1_amd64 packages, r5647, just download, extract and run "./FreeBSD_amd64.install.sh".
    install.log, proof that it really works on fresh installation.

VMware Player compatible FreeBSD-9.1 amd64 image for anyone wishing a quick test. Login is 'root'. Password is 'zimbra'. Just 'cd /install && ./install.sh'. There is no swap, 4GB RAM is minimum.

I have been using zimbra on FreeBSD since 5.0.16, it is amazing piece of software. Thank you.

For all those "this is not a real FreeBSD port" people: it is not meant to be.
    Have You seen "apt-get install zimbra" lately? No? See.. they (the Linux people) got official support and they still do it the old fashioned way. Why maintain separate installers?!

wiki with all the info.
    Building and Installation is now super easy. And you can now fetch dependencies remotely:

setenv PACKAGEROOT http://zimbra-pkg-proxy.imladris.sk && \
    pkg_add -r zimbra-builddeps-8.0.3

Beat that, Linux :P.

Please, make this sticky as well.
    Last edited by solko; 05-07-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: 8.0.4 packages

Wow, thank you for your hard work to provide ZCS on FreeBSD, i'am using your zcs 7.2.0 on production level and it has been working great. I'am just facing the memory consumption is increasing day by day but not to much (displayed using "top" command).

I hope this new packages will have better memory management..

Just wondering about 8.0.4 packages, since zimbra official do not release the 8.0.4 yet. Any explanation about it..?

cheers,

Ary Firman

Quote Originally Posted by Ary Firman View Post
    I hope this new packages will have better memory management..
    my university mail server is running 7.2.0+zfs raid6 with current uptime of 198 days. what memory consumption exactly?
    i don't use swap (yes, for a reason) on any of my production zimbra servers and i have never had any problems with only 10GB RAM. remember, FreeBSD (unlike Linux which insta-worries most Linux->BSD newcomers) will try to use almost all available memory: "Free memory is wasted memory." and I can only second that :-). "Free" memory is memory that is not used for anything right now, for most situations you should do "Inactive+Free"=free. So it's pretty much okay to have it as low as possible for most systems (depends on UFS/ZFS and other things).
    that being said, using zimbra with less than 4GB RAM is a very bad idea.

Just wondering about 8.0.4 packages, since zimbra official do not release the 8.0.4 yet. Any explanation about it..?
    there is no official release yet but i wanted to prepare a patch beforehand. there are not many major changes in releases, only between them and 8.0.4 contains updated 3rd party.
    besides i tend to forget about new releases since noone ever bugs me about them. i should create some 'nightly zimbra build' box.
    but best answer to your question would be 8.0.4 pmweb. if any bug catches your eye.. you might want 8.0.4.
    Last edited by solko; 05-09-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling, memory consumption clarification, free memory is really free

Thanks for your response, I do not really like if Zimbra use swap memory, CMIIW it will make system slow, but after 61 days uptime i still have not seen my zimbra using Swap Memory

Perl, Java and mysqld tends to increase the memory usage

I'am using HP ML 150 G6 with 4GB RAM running FreeBSD 9.1 & Zimbra 7.2.0 and only run LDAP, Mailbox, MTA, AntiSPAM and Logger service (without antivirus, spell checker, snmp)

When I get new Hardware test, I will try your 8.0.4 packages soon, and give some report if there is bugs appear on that. One thing that makes me happy, there is builtin OpenDKIM on 8.0.3/8.0.4, since i dont have to install and configure it manually anymore

Again, thank you for your effort, i don't mind if you put Donation Button on your webpage....oops sorry if this is wrong

cheers,

Ary Firman

[zimbra@mail ~]$ zmcontrol -v
    Release 7.2.0_GA_2678.FreeBSD_amd64 FreeBSD_amd64 FOSS edition.

Thanks for your response, I do not really like if Zimbra use swap memory, CMIIW it will make system slow, but after 61 days uptime i still have not seen my zimbra using Swap Memory
    so as i see it.. there is no problem at all and what you are experiencing is utterly normal?

i wish that more people would actually report their "success stories". that's the only thing that matters really. proving that it works. besides, it makes me happy in the long run .

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

great job solko, well done on keeping this port going. i used to maintain a solaris port but gave up years ago as it was so painful to keep synched with the main tree. why don't you ask zimbra to see if it's possible to merge your code into the main codebase, can only be a good thing for the project, right?

i don't use swap (yes, for a reason) on any of my production zimbra servers and i have never had any problems with only 10GB RAM. remember, FreeBSD (unlike Linux which insta-worries most Linux->BSD newcomers) will try to use almost all available memory: "Free memory is wasted memory." and I can only second that :-). Free memory is memory that has never been used so it's pretty much okay to have it as low as possible for most systems (depends on UFS/ZFS and other things).
    not sure what you mean by this - linux will use every bit of memory it can get it's hands on for cacheing, buffering etc. it often confuses newbies to linux as they think it's a memory hog. free memory (on linux, at least) isn't memory that's never been used - it just means it isn't currently allocated. if you kill/stop a process that was using a significant amount of memory, at least a portion of the memory allocation will be freed and show as free memory. linux, like BSD has had many public discussions over the years around balancing the VM part of the kernel related to memory and swap usage. it's not often that having no swap is a good idea - it's a vital safety net for most OS environments. for example if you have a sudden rush of incoming mail (say a spam run) that fires off a lot of amavis/SA/policyd/postfix/lmtp activity and you reach up to your memory limit, what happens if you have no swap? the kernel will be forced to start killing off vital processes. swap, although very slow, at least gives the OS a chance to get through the sudden rush of spam and then recover. the kernel VM also has settings to change the behaviour of swapping (sys.vm.swappiness in linux) so you can dissuade it from swapping unless absolutely necessary. in addition, swap is a good (cheap) way of getting large allocated processes out of expensive ram that are rarely used. i've had reasonable performance from very small VM or zones running zimbra where a large chunk of the main java and mysql processes are swapped out and most of the RAM is used for active processing.

anyway, great job on the port!

Default Thanks for this port!

Hi Solko,

just a heartfelt thanks for this port. It saved me considerable time on setup and added features to my own small email service. Before I used postfix/archiveopteryx/roundcube.

Installation on 9.2/amd worked fine:

$ zmcontrol -v
    Release 8.0.4_GA_5718.FreeBSD_amd64 FreeBSD_amd64 FOSS edition.
    $ uname -a
    FreeBSD somewhere.com 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0 r255898: Thu Sep 26 22:50:31 UTC 2013 root@bake.isc.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

The first installation hung for some not really identified reason, and to rerun I had to delete the zimbra user by hand, but otherwise this worked like a charm!

Thanks, Mathias

Been running Release 7.2.0_GA_2678.FreeBSD_amd64 FreeBSD_amd64 FOSS edition (9.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p2 #0: Sun Apr 21 00:02:52 PDT 2013 root@subspace2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XENHVM amd64) for quite a while now.

Read the thread. No one has commented on UPGRADING from 7.2 to 8. I guess I'll give it a go. Might also do a test on FreeBSD 10 Beta1.

I tryed install zimbra 8.04 from first post on FreeBSD 9.2 x64 and found a bug(?)
    PHP Code:
    Starting apache...Shared object "libpcre.so.1" not foundrequired by "httpd" failed.
    Starting mta...Failed.
    Shared object "libpcre.so.1" not foundrequired by "postalias"
    Shared object "libpcre.so.1" not foundrequired by "postfix"
    postfix failed to start 
    Server with fresh install of FreeBSD(I installed only few ports: zfs+screen+mc+vim-lite) and I change pkg manager to pkgng.

I need previously install depending packages or setup script do this?
    How can I setup depending packages via pkgng?

I have successfuly installed 8.0.4 in a 9.2 jail. Benefits of jail are that we do not mix production server with many dependent packages that may broke zimbra during upgrades/changes and we can leave primary server untouched. For local communication in a jail we need 127.0.0.2 as we cannot bind to the usual 127.0.0.1. This is the main obstacle in a FreeBSD jail.

Below are some notes to mention:

Edit /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts and enable sshd.
    Code:
    echo 'sshd_enable="YES"'>/etc/rc.conf
    It is better to manually install packages provided within zcs-8.0.4-FreeBSD-9_amd64.tgz by
    Code:
    pkg_add -f perl-5.14.2_2.tbz
    and

Code:
    perl -MCPAN -e shell
    install URI::Escape
    Code:
    pkg_add -f bash-4.2.37.tbz
    After installation change hardcoded loopback zimbraLocalBindAddress with

grep -l 127.0.0.1 postfix/conf/* conf/* bin/* libexec/* zimbramon/pylibs/* |\
    xargs sed -i.old -e 's/127.0.0.1/127.0.0.2/g;s/::1/::2/g'

Into conf/amavisd.conf.in add
    Code:
    $inet_socket_bind = '%%zimbraLocalBindAddress%%';
    @inet_acl = qw( %%zimbraMtaMyNetworks%% );
    In principle this works in a small production environment with 20+ users. The only thing I cannot solve is missing symbol
    Code:
    mail postfix/dkimmilter/smtpd[32532]: unable to dlopen /opt/zimbra/cyrus-sasl-2.1.26.2z/lib/sasl2/libgssapiv2.so.3: /opt/zimbra/heimdal-1.5.2/lib/libroken.so.19: Undefined symbol "unvis"
    This problem seems that it doesn't affecting us as we don't use gssapi.

Thanks for this "port". It would be even greater within ports as we may build it by our own without hassle.