Thread: Zimbra 8 multi server install

Default Zimbra 8 multi server install

Hello, We use zimbra 8 single server install in my company, but now we're expanding and we are planning to switch to multi server install.

I have read the multi server install guide and not all things are clear to me.

Does Zimbra Proxy act as an load balancer?

Usage scenario: Zimbra Proxy is on mailcluster.domain.tld, MX records for domains a.tld and b.tld are set to it. We want to have two separate mailbox servers for those domains.
    Can Zimbra proxy server as an imap/pop/web server for it? We want to enable people from multiple domains to access their webmail/pop/imap on one domain(subdomain) if possible.

Do we need equal number of Mailbox servers and MTAs
    It would be best for us to have each domain have it's own separate mailbox servers. Does each Mailbox (Store) server has to have its own MTA?

More than a load balancer acts as a proxy :-) you can access a single host name and you're able to login to both of your domains.
    I'm not sure but you should be able to work with a single MTA, but why not setting up two so you can have a backup mx?
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

~=Prashant=~

Thank you for your answers.If I understood the answers in those threads correctly, we could have the following.

One zimbra proxy (zimbra.domain.tld) with two (or more) MTAs and several mailbox servers for storage + LDAP master and slave.

We are running zimbra on top of an OpenStack installation so our virtual instances are behind a NAT. Does every zimbra instance (mailbox, mta, ldap) need to have a public IP address? Our ideal usage case would be:

one main zimbra proxy which serves as an entry point for all domains - only instance that has a public IP; other instances would communicate by their private IPs
    Two proxies to further balance the load for different domains.
    4 MTA servers (Could those be setup to server only for inbound, outbound mail?)
    8+ mailbox servers

So, to reiterate our main concern is public/private IP range and load distribution for web/pop/imap.

Most of the things I ask here are somewhat answered in the forums, but the information is either outdated or does not really apply to this specific usage scenario.

I would suggest only proxy servers to have public IP and rest of the servers(except proxy) to work on private IP's. As a security thing, mailbox servers should not be visible/ have direct access from outside.
    ~=Prashant=~

Following the instructions for both the Zimbra OSE, and NE, I've managed to setup a (half) working POC.

Zimbra web proxy, works as expected. And I've had to setup admin console forwarding on (currently) one store server.

Soo, my questions now are.

1) We run Zimbra cluster behind a NAT.
    I've setup dnsmasq (following the spilt DNS instr.) on the proxy machine (mailcluster.domain.tld). I am able to send e-mails to any address, but no mails sent to admin@domain.tld are recieved. I have internal IP adresses in hosts file for each of the other machines like this:
    Code:
    10.0.0.29   mta1.domain.com mta1 //MTA
    10.0.0.27   store1.domain.com store1 //Store
    10.0.0.31   mail1.domain.com mail1 //Zimbra proxy (MX server for the domain)
    10.0.0.26   masterldap.domain.com masterldap //Master LDAP server
    Do I have to setup splitDNS on other machines in order to enable mail recieving? Can zimbra proxy (mail1.domain.tld) serve as an MX host? Or should i change that to mta1.domain.tld?

2) Admin console forwarding for multiple store servers

on the admin console of the store server, I've set up forwarding (9071 proxy to 7071 store), can i do something similar for other mailboxes? (9072 proxy to 7072 store). I would like to access all the admin consoles from one centralized location (mail1.domain.tld)

3) Multiple MTAs + multiple stores
    Like I've said in my first post, we are going to have a lot of mailboxes. How can I configure MTA to be used only for incoming or outgoing mail. Also, Is it possible to have 5 mailboxes use some of the MTAs, but not the other.
    E.g, we have 4 MTAs, 5 store servers use MTA1 and MTA2, and the other 5 store servers use MTA3 and MTA4.

4)Memcached?

Where should I install memcached? If I understood correctly Memcached should be installed only on proxy servers to speed up LDAP lookups?

5) Statistics
    When I go to the statistics menu of store1 server in admin console, Zimbra tells me that only active services are on store1, all other services on other machines are red. How can I fix that?
    Last edited by CooLa; 06-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.