Thread: Installing Zimbra on non-VMware Hypervisors

Hybrid View

Default Installing Zimbra on non-VMware Hypervisors

I am researching Zimbra and have not yet attempted to use/install it. When reading the general documentation on Zimbra, it appears that there is some sort of reliance on vSphere/vCenter to Zimbra virtual appliance. But looking thru the install guides I did not see where Zimbra appliance was asking for vCenter ID/password or other vCenter configuration steps. Can someone answer the question about the actual requirements between Zimbra and VMware vCenter?

Many thanks.

Jeff

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by qzl6rx View Post
    I am researching Zimbra and have not yet attempted to use/install it. When reading the general documentation on Zimbra, it appears that there is some sort of reliance on vSphere/vCenter to Zimbra virtual appliance.
    Of course there's a reliance on vSphere, that's what the Virtual Appliance is built for. If you want to install it on some other hypervisor then install a supported distribution then install ZCS on that.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Refer the link http://wiki.zimbra.com/images/f/f1/Z...ion_Guide_.pdf. Installation mentioned here are the steps once you login to the vCentere client. Zimbra Appliance is nothing but the bundle of OS + Zimbra Server Software as good as you are creating VM with zimbra installed on it. For the deployment/installation you are using ova/ovf file. I have not tried on other hypervisors and not sure whether this will work on with other hypersvisors like hyper-v but suggest you to please give a try on other hypervisors as well and post the result.
    There are also nice links which may help you http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...-v-vmware.html http://www.vmware.com/technical-reso...faces/ovf.html
    ~=Prashant=~

I would Suggest Zimbra Appliance to test the functioning of Zimbra but for production ZCS is the way to go.