Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: apache and zimbra 8.05 on the same host possible?

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    It is very much possible to install Apache (or mysql, postfix or pretty much any other component that Zimbra also uses) on the same server. Zimbra is actually very good at keeping out of the way of the OS-provided software - it is almost entirely self contained in /opt/zimbra and provides and relies on it's own libraries and suite of compiled components. I've run Zimbra for many years on shared servers, alongside other OS-provided software components like Apache, LDAP, Samba etc.

If you're familiar with running Zimbra you can 'clamp' Zimbra to a single IP address so that it doesn't conflict with other software like Apache and will start up cleanly - you can for example then use a reverse proxy vhost to present the zimbra web interface to the outside, should that be useful for whatever reason. If you delve down deep enough, you can move pretty much any of the Zimbra ports to non-standard ports so they don't conflict.

However, with the falling costs of servers, improvements in configuration management (and subsequent decrease in administrative overheads), and particularly with the advent of efficient and stable virtualisation, you are much better off following the advice in this thread and consider Zimbra a black box. I now run all of my Zimbra instances inside dedicated VMs, and do not allow anything else to run on the server. This is purely for ease of administration/maintenance, as Zimbra is then an awful lot easier to work with.
    Hi

Thank you for your answer.

As I've said for the version ZCS 7 that isn't any problem to run together with other software on Ubuntu or other Linux Server. The problem is releated to the ZCS 8....

If is like this seems that you solve the problem for the guys who know that is a fix and they don't have any solution to solve that issue.

And if is like this please make a wikii so we can follow you to solve our problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    ps - I've just noticed that the admin interface even has the ability to clamp the web interface to a single IP address, where I presume it won't conflict with a non-zimbra Apache instance. Configure->Servers->->IP Adress Bindings. I assume this is now persistent - it used to be that you had to hack the jetty config xml by hand every time Zimbra was updated..
    Please give us the solution so we can do it right the way how you have done that.