Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.05 to 4.5GA upgrade 'stop failed'

Question 4.05 to 4.5GA upgrade 'stop failed'

Hi All

I have just been trying the 4.5GA upgrade on a backed up production server and it failed with the helpful message lines of Stopping services, Stop failed and exits the upgrade process. There were no Zimbra services running, no IP changes, was running happily on 4.05 it just didnt play upgrades.

Reverting to the backup now but on the next attempt does anyone have any ideas what to hunt for?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,
    I'm sorry this got buried!
    Did the install log give anything helpful?

It would be located in /tmp/install.log.xxx

jholder
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindods View Post
    Hi All

I have just been trying the 4.5GA upgrade on a backed up production server and it failed with the helpful message lines of Stopping services, Stop failed and exits the upgrade process. There were no Zimbra services running, no IP changes, was running happily on 4.05 it just didnt play upgrades.

Reverting to the backup now but on the next attempt does anyone have any ideas what to hunt for?

Thanks

Kevin

Default Thanks for replying!

Not much in the logs, just that it has completed the saving old config and tried to stop services then failed to - though no zimbra/related services were running. Not seen this on the dev ones just this live one. Guess I should be good and rip the script apart and see what could cause the error but I wondered if there was anyone having done the same to save a long evening ;-)

If you have any ideas/signposts they will be gratefully received!

K

We have seen that under certain circumstances, if / or /tmp is full, it can cause the update to stop.

Is it possible to backup your current install, then rerun the install, and post the log file?

Default can do...

I will have another run at this out of hours. No issues with disk space of this one, we are running about a 1TB on this one at the moment and none of the volumes is less than 40% most 95% free ;-)

The install logs simply end showing the list of zmlocalconfig commands ending with the zimlet_directory setting and then stopping. Prior to that is the normal stuff preparing for the upgrade with only errors such as umount2 invalid argument, umount amavisd not mounted, and trying to change ownership of /opt/zimbra/httpd and op/zimbra/snmp (no directory/file). The screen at point of running mentions the stopping services error but I dont see it in the log.

In the zmsetup.log I see the getting local config ending happily at zimbra_logger_mysql_password and then 'Upgrading from 4.05_GA518 to 4.50_GA_612 then just UPGRADE FAILED - exiting.

All very odd but I guess that's where the fun is! Mailboxes here run to about 20GB+ so I dont really want to pull that down and do a run locally. Wonder where else I can look for easy clues?

What OS are you running?

FC4 - patched up to date.

The screen at point of running mentions the stopping services error but I dont see it in the log.
    I bet something's not stopped. Run a
    ps auxx | grep zimbra
    to make sure that everything is stopped.

That was my thought, something must have been left running, so had tried that but nothing showed. I will duplicate all again later but at the time I checked all processes running and none were Zimbra or related. Tried 4 or 5 times to upgrade that night with a full restore between each time. Same result.

May have been the full moon or maybe insufficient caffeine but I thought it better at that point in the proceedings to cease, revert to backup version one more time and think more! Do you know what the script checks for in at that point? Just the standard services? I guess I ought to check it out myself really...

I bet it's the lack of caffeine.

If the script is trying to stop a service, and the service isn't stopping, the script can fail.