Thread: How much RAM is really needed for a Zimbra server?

Default How much RAM is really needed for a Zimbra server?

This is a question for those of you who are actaully using Zimbra in the real world. Just how much RAM is really needed for a Zimbra server?

For instance, if I'm just setting up a Zimbra server for my personal email and that of a few friends and family (say 10 to 20 non-business users), how much RAM do I really need on that machine?

Or if I'm setting up a Zimbra server for a company of 200 people, how much RAM would that need?

Thanks
    --Dan

hi,
    The zimbra server need 2 GB RAM for the production environements ( Minimum ).
    You can use 4 GB , it ' s recommend.
    Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by danfluidmind View Post
    This is a question for those of you who are actaully using Zimbra in the real world. Just how much RAM is really needed for a Zimbra server?

For instance, if I'm just setting up a Zimbra server for my personal email and that of a few friends and family (say 10 to 20 non-business users), how much RAM do I really need on that machine?

Or if I'm setting up a Zimbra server for a company of 200 people, how much RAM would that need?

Thanks
    --Dan
    Sizing a server is based on a lot of things including message through put, quotes, users, percentages of active users, etc. Your sales rep or VAR should be able to walk you through sizing the server appropriately for your needs. You may want to check out: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...light=hardware

Thanks. That discussion thread helped. Basically, my immediate need is for my personal server--about 12 users right now who don't really put all that much load on it (family and friends). It's currently on an old box with 1 gig of RAM running FreeBSD 4.10 and Cyrus. I want to set up a single box with 2 gig of RAM running VMware on a small Linux, have Zimbra running in one virtual machine and Ubuntu running in a second to act as the Web server. So I'm trying to determine if giving the Zimbra VM 768 meg of that RAM would be enough for the small load this server gets (one of the people in that discussion thread was doing just that).

Thanks
    --Dan

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

i run zimbra on two separate servers with about 5 heavy users on each box, both old cpus (like P3 800mhz) and 1gb ram, and they work very fast indeed - just make sure to decrease java and mysql mem usage, search the forum for how to do that. i also use the NE on a corporate server with 1gb, it serves about 20 users, most of them continously using email all day, no probs whatsoever. i have had to make sure the java and mysql have reduced mem footprints and no other hungry processes are running to ensure it doesnt start swapping. i certainly wouldnt run a production box with less than 1gb.

Hi...

I'm running zimbra on a Tiny widdle Asus Terminator P4 2.4 GHz with (a shameful) 727 Mb Ram, Running on Ubuntu 6.06

I only have about 15 Users (friends and family) who use it quite frequently, on that same machine, I am running an apache web (with php and APC php cache) server MySQL Squid Proxy Postgres SQL, FTP and BIND DNS, and that little machine runs perfectly, I never have ANY problems, especially since I moved to Ubuntu (Used to run FC6).

So, if your hardware aint that grate, and you lookin for a stable machine, I would reccomend you go for Ubuntu, Its the most stable linux distro I have ever come accross and it has a rock solid kernel.

"JUST MY OPINION "