Thread: openSUSE 10.2 and Zimbra 4.5 Installation

Post openSUSE 10.2 and Zimbra 4.5 Installation

Just thought that I'd post a solution to a problem I was getting when installing Zimbra 4.5 OSS to openSUSE 10.2.

I just installed openSUSE 10.2 with the other/Text Mode install (no KDE nor Gnome) defaults. I then used /sbin/yast2 to manually add the fetchmail and gmp packages (Software | Software Management). While I was at it, I also added some NTP servers (Network Services | NTP Configuration). And I also turned off Novell's AppArmor (Novell AppArmor | AppArmor Control Panel | Disable AppArmor).

I was then ready to install Zimbra.

After running ./install.sh and applying the settings which I wanted, I was getting an error message about /etc/sudoers having 0440 permissions but it needed 0640 permissions. I was in a virtual machine -- so I reverted back to the previous state and looked at the file. Sure enough, before installation it had 0640 permissions and after the install had failed, it had 0440 permissions.

As far as I could tell it was after installing the rpms that the permissions had changed. So, I ran ./install.sh and then once it hit the configuration menu where you can set the administrator password, etc I hopped over to another console and changed the permissions of the file as root:
    Code:
    chmod 640 /etc/sudoers
    This was able to get me through the remainder of the install without aborting, at least.

I still get two errors which I haven't looked into yet:

Code:
    Setting up syslog.conf...cp: cannot stat `/etc/syslog.conf': No such file or directory
    grep: /etc/syslog.conf: No such file or directory
    syslogd: No process killed
    Failed
    Looking at the file after install, /etc/syslong.conf exists with only Zimbra lines in it. I wonder if Zimbra created the file... not sure if it will be used, however. There is a /etc/syslog-ng/ directory which openSUSE seems to use.

Later, when it says "Starting servers..." the log file reveals that it has some troubles:
    Code:
    /opt/zimbra/httpd-2.0.54/bin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcontrol status
    as the zimbra user shows that the spell process is stopped because zmapachectl is not running.

Searching my hard drive for libexpat.so* returns three results:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.0
    I don't yet have solutions to either of these errors. Perhaps we could turn this thread into issues dealing with these unofficial installs of Zimbra 4.5 and openSUSE 10.2. If anyone has solutions to either of these problems, go ahead and post them here.
    Last edited by MidSpeck; 02-02-2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake and readability

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MidSpeck View Post
    Later, when it says "Starting servers..." the log file reveals that it has some troubles:
    Code:
    /opt/zimbra/httpd-2.0.54/bin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
    /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcontrol status
    as the zimbra user shows that the spell process is stopped because zmapachectl is not running.

Searching my hard drive for libexpat.so* returns three results:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1
    /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.0
    Install curl compatibility package
    ln -s /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.0 /opt/zimbra/httpd-2.0.54/lib/libexpat.so.0

Does that point you in the right direction?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Post Additional updates for openSUSE 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Install curl compatibility package
    ln -s /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.0 /opt/zimbra/httpd-2.0.54/lib/libexpat.so.0

Does that point you in the right direction?
    I installed the curl compatibility package as suggested, although it didn't seem to make a difference. I just note it here in case it made a difference on any of the following steps.

The symbolic link to libexpat seemed to fix the spell check problem so that it would load without any complaints.

However, I found that I had the problem talked about in this thread regarding the logger service showing as running, but was not actually working. Using the suggestions there, I was able to come up with a fix for openSUSE 10.2.
    I had a /var/log/zimbra.log file, but it had a size of zero -- which is talked about in that thread.

Step 1) As the zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcontrol stop

Step 2) As root: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmsyslogsetup

Step 3) Since Zimbra is made for SuSE 10, and not openSUSE 10.2, there is a problem in the zmsyslogsetup not doing everything that we'd want it to do, so we have to do this and the following step for it manually.
    Edit /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf and add (or update) the following lines to the bottom of the file:
    Code:
    filter f_local0       { facility(local0); }; # zimbra
    destination zmail { file("/var/log/zimbra.log" owner("zimbra") ); }; # zimbra
    log { source(src); filter(f_mail); destination(zmail); }; # zimbra
    destination local0 { file("/var/log/zimbra.log" owner("zimbra") ); }; # zimbra
    log { source(src); filter(f_local0); destination(local0); }; # zimbra
    filter f_auth       { facility(auth); }; # zimbra
    destination zmauth { file("/var/log/zimbra.log" owner("zimbra") ); }; # zimbra
    log { source(src); filter(f_auth); destination(zmauth); }; # zimbra
    Having the Zimbra comments at the end is important for future updates -- the scripts will look for those lines to upgrade.

Step 4) Restart the syslog daemon by executing (as root) /sbin/rcsyslog restart

Step 5) As the zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcontrol start

This at least showed some information in the Administration console of Zimbra. At first, my Server Status page showed several of the services with large red X's, but after a few minutes (just the time it took me to write up this post) they have now changed to checkmarks. I imagine it just took some time for their updated status to be logged).

So far so good.

Any other fixes for openSUSE 10.2?

Quote Originally Posted by MidSpeck View Post
    Any other fixes for openSUSE 10.2?
    When we tried installing 4.0.3 on SLES10 we found:

1. Creating a symlink for the missing library solved that problem (the later version of the library included with SuSE appears to support the Zimbra requirements embodied in the earlier version).

2. You'll need to fix the sudoers file permissions after every reboot, as the SuSE boot scripts reset the permissions on that file.

3. We never did get the logger to work.

HTH,
    Mark

P.S. We wound up using SLES9, which has a longer supported life than 10.2 anyway, and we want to run this server for a long, long time.

Post openSUSE 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by LMStone View Post
    When we tried installing 4.0.3 on SLES10 we found:

1. Creating a symlink for the missing library solved that problem (the later version of the library included with SuSE appears to support the Zimbra requirements embodied in the earlier version).

2. You'll need to fix the sudoers file permissions after every reboot, as the SuSE boot scripts reset the permissions on that file.

3. We never did get the logger to work.

HTH,
    Mark

P.S. We wound up using SLES9, which has a longer supported life than 10.2 anyway, and we want to run this server for a long, long time.
    Looks like openSUSE 10.2 doesn't reset the permissions on the sudoers file and implementing the fix above allows the logger to work on OSS 10.2.

However, to add to my posts above:
    postfix is installed by default, but wasn't turned on when I installed. You'll want to run as root:
    Code:
    chkconfig postfix off
    Secondly, apparently chkconfig in OSS 10.2 wants a different format to know how to start Zimbra correctly. Whenever I would reboot, Zimbra would not start automatically, but I could manually start it and it would work fine. I did some digging into this and found that it was trying to start before syslog had started -- obviously a problem.

I had to do the following to get Zimbra to boot automatically under openSUSE 10.2.

Code:
    chkconfig --del zimbra
    Edit /etc/init.d/zimbra and put this somewhere in the comments section (I just put it after the other chkconfig: comments)

Code:
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: zimbra
    # Required-Start: $network $syslog
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start: 3 5
    # Default-Stop: 0 1 2 6
    # Description: Zimbra mail service
    ### END INIT INFO
    Then run:
    Code:
    chkconfig --add zimbra
    chkconfig zimbra on
    The "chkconfig zimbra on" line may not be necessary, but it doesn't hurt anything either.

Again, hope this is useful to someone. I haven't looked at 4.5.1 which was just released. Some of the issues described in this thread may be fixed there.

Default Problems in OpenSuse10.1

I say that my case is equal to the problems in instalation of ZCS 4.5 in OpenSuse 10.2, and the solution is itself.
    ~ Leandro Rache Sanchez
    (. .) leandro@hipertek.net
    \V/
    //"\\ Hipertek Ltda
    /( ' )\ info@hipertek.net
    ^*-*^ http://www.hipertek.net
    ----------------------------------------------