Thread: zmprov authentication error

Default zmprov authentication error

Hi All,
    Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction with this issue.

I Installed Zimbra 4.5, installation appeared successful. Started zimbra after the install [with 'zmcontrol start'] and all processes started successfully. Loaded the admin console web page. Attempted to login and failed and failed and failed and no, not because of "@mydomain.com" username stuff! I thought that prehaps I'd forgotten / mistyped [dispite a cut&paste] the password so I looked up in the wiki how to change the admin password.

The wiki said to use 'zmprov gaaa' to list the existing administrators and then another 'zmprov' command to change a password. So I ran the command which after a short wait, maybe 10 secs, the following error message is displayed:

"ERROR: account.AUTH_FAILED (authentication failed for zimbra)"

the only thing in the forums/wiki related to zmprov issues are around the certificate expiration problems but this is not the case. There is nothing in the zimbra log but there is in the Audit log:
    "
    2007-02-07 03:36:24,726 WARN [http-7071-Processor49] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=AdminAuth; account=zimbra; error=authentication failed for zimbra;
    "

Running "zmprov" with no arguements returns the same error.
    Running "zmprov" as root returns a message to run it as the zimbra user!

So if someone could please tell me what areas of my setup I should lookup that would be great.

Best Regards,

Whiplash

You need to reset your zimbra password. Somehow, it got out of sync.

Please see this article:
    http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...ySQL_Passwords

If you have any trouble, let us know.

john

Thanks,
    It gets further now than it did, it actually thinks about processing now! It does come up with the following Java exceptions:

[] INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
    [] INFO: Retrying request
    [] INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)

My question is, am I dealing with LDAP issues?

Problem Solved,
    The second issue was related to either:

1) Another process having started MySQL
    2) changing from the default password for admin, during installation

Which 1? I dunno. I stopped the MYSQL, non-zimbra related, service then uninstalled zimbra, re-installed and it works.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiplashFunk View Post
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)
    same problem here. a bit different nature though, i think. we are trying to get something out of the backup from a couple of days ago. what i did is installed a fresh copy of zimbra. everything went well. version 4.5.1 OSS. override it with a backup(which was also 4.5.1 OSS) and reinstalled again. version 4.5.1 OSS all the time. now zimbra doesn't start.

i guess it's a ldap problem or something with the hosts. can't run zmprov commands to fix it though. os is suse9. any help?

if i have to post any logs please be so kind to say which ones. thanks in advance.

aaah. nevermind...

Exclamation

I am also having an issue with zmprov erroring out. If I type

Code:
    zmprov
    I get the following error

ERROR: account.AUTH_FAILED (authentication failed for zimbra)
    Nothing shows in the zimbra.log however the following lines do appear in the audit.log

2007-03-11 12:19:27,643 INFO [http-7071-Processor50] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=AdminAuth; account=zimbra;
    2007-03-11 12:19:27,659 WARN [http-7071-Processor50] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=Auth; account=zimbra; protocol=soap; error=authentication failed for zimbra;
    2007-03-11 12:19:27,659 WARN [http-7071-Processor50] [ip=127.0.0.1;] security - cmd=AdminAuth; account=zimbra; error=authentication failed for zimbra;
    I performed the password resets described in the article noted above. To no effect. I then performed the steps int this article (http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...icate_Problems) and again the error messages are the same as above. I discovered this problem when I was trying to use the command....

Code:
    zmprov ms MAIL.DOMAIN.COM zimbraRemoteManagementPort 2222
    ....to change the SSH port that is used locally -- in order to get mail queues working in the web admin interface.

At a loss as to what else to try.