Thread: Best practices?

Default Best practices?

I have a new PowerEdge Server, but want to know if I can store all of the data (index, store, data) on attached PowerVault. I am aware that the PV feels like overkill, but after doing the math today, it really isn't.

Or would it be best to put all of Zimbra on the PV? I think I would like to have all of the apps (LDAP/Apache, etc.) stored on the internal disks and just all of the data stored on the PV, but I could easily be wrong.

Thank you!

- PowerEdge has approx 60 gigs free, PowerVault is 1.5+ tB

I realize that the default folders for these items are: /opt/zimbra/index /opt/zimbra/db and /opt/zimbra/store
    I could link these I guess...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Nutz; 02-08-2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added info

You could format the Power Valut and make it's mount point /opt/zimbra/store1 Then create new index and message volumes on this new mount point.

If this is a fresh dedicated box you can create this at install time. You can even make the mount point /opt

Yup it's a fresh box, but I don't think I want Zimbra as a whole to reside on the PV, just the stores.

When creating the new index and messages volumes, I assume that it doesn't move the data store... am I wrong? And I think I would want all 3 stores together.

Thanks again!

From the Admin Guide:

Data store.
    The data store is a MySQL database where internal mailbox IDs are linked with user accounts. The data store maps the mailbox IDs to usersí OpenLDAP accounts. This database contains each userís set of tag definitions, folders, calendar schedules, and contacts, as well as the status of each mail message - read, unread, tags associated to message, and folder the message resides in.

fwiw, I am very new to zimbra. So test before using in production.

Creating new stores will not move anything. Further more, Users are assigned an Index at creation time and are bound to that Index store for the life of the account. There may be manual ways to move a user to a new index, but I am new to zimbra also and have not looked for this. If you have the paid version you could use HSM to move old messages to a 'Secondary' Message store...

You could try and create these mount points at OS install

/opt/zimbra/index
    /opt/zimbra/store

These are the folders that my install used for the initial stores... Of course they did not exist prior to the install...

I have the paid version so what I see may not be what you see...
    It would be easier to create new Index and Message (Primary) stores after you install, but prior to creating any accounts. This would provision the bulk of your users to store mail and indexes on the external storage. The admin account would still use the Original Index, but all mail delvers to the Current Primary...

The index on mysystem is 10% of the message store size. So 1000GB for the messages and 100GB for the index...

Also everything says no RAID5 for systems with more than 100 accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by bowergo View Post

Also everything says no RAID5 for systems with more than 100 accounts.
    Now that's good to know... I was planning to go RAID 10 with it. I think that I'm going to go ahead and mount the PV at /opt and install zimbra there (like you said in the first place

I am testing for now, with plans to buy 100+ user license in the near future assuming all goes well...