Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Initializing Documents...failed to initialize documents

Default Initializing Documents...failed to initialize documents

Tried installing the latest & greatest network version (upgrading from the Open Source) and it appeared to go well until:

com_zimbra_license
    Done
    Initializing Documents...failed to initialize documents...see logfile for details.
    Restarting tomcat...Done

The logfile says this:

Initializing Documents...
    COS attribute retrieved for COS default: zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled=TRUE
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled TRUE

[] INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
    [] INFO: Retrying request
    [] INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mcf zimbraNotebookAccount notebook@inc21.com

ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov in notebook@inc21.com 'tKDXd1IJ' /opt/zimbra/wiki/Template Template

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled FALSE

failed to initialize documents...see logfile for details.

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureNotebookEnabled TRUE

Restarting tomcat...
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/tomcat restart

Done

So, I see the errors, but don't know what to do about them. This is on CentOS 4.4.

All those "connection refused" errors make me suspect my iptables firewall, but I don't know what port might be getting blocked.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    All those "connection refused" errors make me suspect my iptables firewall, but I don't know what port might be getting blocked.
    It's not recommended to have a firewall or SELinux enabled on your Zimbra server, it's mentioned in the documentation that it may cause problems. Look a bit further back in your log and see if LDAP started or failed, it's probably that.

There are dozens of threads (well, a lot) in the forum on this topic, you may also want to look at the wiki.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It's not recommended to have a firewall or SELinux enabled on your Zimbra server, it's mentioned in the documentation that it may cause problems. Look a bit further back in your log and see if LDAP started or failed, it's probably that.

There are dozens of threads (well, a lot) in the forum on this topic, you may also want to look at the wiki.
    It wasn't the firewall or Selinux (I disabled them both). The fact that there are alot of threads about this doesn't indicate something lacking in the users, it indicates something wrong with the PRODUCT.

Anyway, I wiped it all out, removed all traces of it and reinstalled, now it all works.

The fact that there are alot of threads about this doesn't indicate something lacking in the users,
    That's rather a peurile comment. I never said or implied there was anything lacking in the user.

Actually, if you look at my post, I asked you a question about the install - did you bother to look at that being the likely problem?

it indicates something wrong with the PRODUCT.
    No, it doesn't necessarily indicate that at all. Many people post without having looked through the forums, you didn't tell me whether you had or not - I'm not a mind reader and don't know what you've tried already. Most of the problems we see here are already answered.

Anyway, I wiped it all out, removed all traces of it and reinstalled, now it all works.
    So, actually, it probably wasn't a problem with the product was it? If it had been it wouldn't have worked when you did the re-install but as you went down this route I guess we'll never know!
    Last edited by phoenix; 02-09-2007 at 06:27 AM.
    Regards

Bill

OK, here is the way it went down. I installed the Network Trial Download 4.5. Everything worked. I decided to downgrade to the Open Source version, since the differences between the $$$ one and Open Source version were not significant for our particular application.

Most stuff worked, except for the Documents problem described earlier. I searched here, tried all the solutions I could find, and none of them fixed it. And LDAP *was* running, and the libcompat stuff with the correct versions was installed.

I upgraded again to the Network version. Had the same Document problem PLUS tomcat wouldn't start up.

At that point I decided to remove all traces of Zimbra from the system using install.sh -u and searching the filesystem to remove everything, including stuff left behind in /etc/init.d and /tmp.

Rebooted, made sure nothing was running that shouldn't be, and reinstalled the Network version from scratch again. This time it all works, including the document stuff.

However, I remain convinced that I don't need the additional features the Network version has over the Open Source version, so I would prefer to run the Open Source one. I guess since downgrading to it doesn't seem to work properly, I should probably wipe out the Network version and install the OS version cleanly.

Installing the OSS version over the top of NE does work. If you want to try it again then please do or you can wipe out NE and install the OSS version, it's your choice we'll do whatever we can to help you fix it.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Installing the OSS version over the top of NE does work. If you want to try it again then please do or you can wipe out NE and install the OSS version, it's your choice we'll do whatever we can to help you fix it.
    Well, I had a perfectly functioning NE, with everything I checked (including Documents / Wiki) working. I shut it down using /etc/init.d/zimbra stop and verified no zimbra stuff was running.

I ran install.sh in the untarred zcs directory for the zcs-4.5.1_GA_660.RHEL4.tgz product with the intention of downgrading to OSS.

No errors or warnings shown during the downgrade. Logged in, and the Documents thing is broken again with
    Error: missing inclusion page _Header.
    Error: missing inclusion page _SideBar.
    Error: missing inclusion page _TitleBar.

That stuff was all there and working with the NE.

[zimbra@mailhost ~]$ zmcontrol status
    Host mailhost.inc21.com
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    [zimbra@mailhost ~]$

That looks OK.

However, in /tmp/zmsetup.log.18800 it has that same java.lang.NullPointerException error I was getting yesterday:

*** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov in wiki@inc21.com 'ScrkWsgFEK' /opt/zimbra/wi
    ki/Template Template

Initializing folders
    Initializing...
    Creating wiki page _Template in folder Template
    Creating wiki page _PathItemTemplate in folder Template
    Creating wiki page _TemplateStyles_unused in folder Template
    Creating wiki page _TemplateStyles in folder Template
    Creating wiki page _TocBodyTemplate in folder Template
    Creating file document Logo.gif in folder Template
    Cannot import Wiki documents from /opt/zimbra/wiki/Template
    com.zimbra.cs.service.wiki.WikiServiceException: error: import
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.wiki.WikiServiceException.ER ROR(WikiServiceException.java:60)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil$WikiSoapUtil.startImpo rt(WikiUtil.java:411)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.doImport(ProvUtil.j ava:1257)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.initNotebook(ProvUt il.java:1209)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.execute(ProvUtil.ja va:536)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.ProvUtil.main(ProvUtil.java: 1455)
    Caused by: com.zimbra.soap.SoapFaultException: system failure: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.zimbra.soap.Soap12Protocol.soapFault(Soap12Pro tocol.java:102)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapTransport.extractBodyElement(S oapTransport.java:215)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapTransport.parseSoapResponse(So apTransport.java:191)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapHttpTransport.invoke(SoapHttpT ransport.java:214)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapTransport.invoke(SoapTransport .java:231)
    at com.zimbra.cs.zclient.ZMailbox.invoke(ZMailbox.jav a:347)
    at com.zimbra.cs.zclient.ZMailbox.createDocument(ZMai lbox.java:2368)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil$WikiSoapUtil.createIte m(WikiUtil.java:350)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil$WikiSoapUtil.populateF olders(WikiUtil.java:372)
    at com.zimbra.cs.wiki.WikiUtil$WikiSoapUtil.startImpo rt(WikiUtil.java:408)
    ... 4 more

So, I am off researching it again.

I have attached the zmsetup.log from the downgrade.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This command is the one failing;

Code:
    *** Running as zimbra user: /opt/zimbra/bin/zmprov in wiki@inc21.com 'ScrkWsgFEK' /opt/zimbra/wi
    ki/Template Template
    Have a look in the admin UI accounts page, does this account exist: wiki@inc21.com and is there another account (with a different name) already set as the global wiki account? If that's the case then change the name of the account in that command to match the name of the global wiki account.
    Regards

Bill