Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Zimbra Hostname?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    503
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Zimbra Hostname?

    Since my Zimbra will be inside our Active Directory and will be using NAT into the internet, must Zimbra hostname be resolve to an internet domain such as mail.company.com? or can I have it in our domain controller domain such as zimbra.company.local?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bhwong View Post
    Since my Zimbra will be inside our Active Directory and will be using NAT into the internet, must Zimbra hostname be resolve to an internet domain such as mail.company.com? or can I have it in our domain controller domain such as zimbra.company.local?
    If you're behind a firewall and doing NAT your /etc/hosts file should contain an entry that resolves mail.company.com and mail to the NAT IP address bound to the interface. You should have a A record entry on your public DNS servers for mail.company.com that points to your WAN interface IP.

    If you like, you can manually add an entry in company.local for zimbra so users can simply browse to: http://zimbra and get the webinterface or IMAP to zimbra as the servername as long as you are within the AD domain.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    503
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czguy View Post
    If you're behind a firewall and doing NAT your /etc/hosts file should contain an entry that resolves mail.company.com and mail to the NAT IP address bound to the interface. You should have a A record entry on your public DNS servers for mail.company.com that points to your WAN interface IP.

    If you like, you can manually add an entry in company.local for zimbra so users can simply browse to: http://zimbra and get the webinterface or IMAP to zimbra as the servername as long as you are within the AD domain.
    Thanks for the reply. The reason for asking this is because we already have a Zimbra7 Server using our company domain name. This will be a second server running on Zimbra8 so we may have to use a virtual/sub domain such as mail.sub.company.com to avoid conflict with our existing Zimbra7 server. Since the zimbra8 server will be hosting email for other domains rather than it's own domain, we do not really need a direct access to the hostname as we found out that we can always access thru any other domains it is hosted as long as the login is full email address. Thus, we are thinking of aligning the zimbra8 hostname with our AD hostname convention instead of internet domain name convention. But we are not sure of how this will have any impact on the connection to the outside world.
    Last edited by bhwong; 01-14-2014 at 06:31 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bhwong View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The reason for asking this is because we already have a Zimbra7 Server using our company domain name. This will be a second server running on Zimbra8 so we may have to use a virtual/sub domain such as mail.sub.company.com to avoid conflict with our existing Zimbra7 server. Since the zimbra8 server will be hosting email for other domains rather than it's own domain, we do not really need a direct access to the hostname as we found out that we can always access thru any other domains it is hosted as long as the login is full email address. Thus, we are thinking of aligning the zimbra8 hostname with our AD hostname convention instead of internet domain name convention. But we are not sure of how this will have any impact on the connection to the outside world.
    As long as the local hostname has the NAT IP assigned to it and it can be resolved via /etc/hosts you should be ok. You'll have to route/NAT traffic destined to the new mail server via your router though.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM
  5. Zimbra 6 change hostname
    By winampus in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 01:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •