Thread: SLES 9 zimbra not starting on boot

Default SLES 9 zimbra not starting on boot

Zimbra does not start on boot. The rc.d script works and if i start zimbra after the system boots it works no problem. The startlog logs the following:
    Code:
    unix dgram connect: No such file or directory at /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/Zimbra/Mon/Logger.pm line 51
    no connection to syslog available at /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/Zimbra/Mon/Logger.pm line 51
    unix dgram connect: No such file or directory at /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/Zimbra/Mon/Logger.pm line 51
    no connection to syslog available at /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/Zimbra/Mon/Logger.pm line 51
    Which according to another post was due to syslog not running. Sys log is running. When i start zimbra with zmcontrol the above errors do not show.

Any Ideas?

What version of Zimbra are you running?

Arrow syslog and SUSE

My guess is that Zimbra starts before before syslog on system bootup. Are you only seeing those errors when the system boots up fresh?

My answer depends also on which version of Zimbra you are using.

Two things to check on, both discussed in this thread. (Not the same OS version, but similar and Zimbra 4.5)

1) See if /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf has a few Zimbra entries in it. If not, you will need to add those (see the other thread for details).

2) You need to correctly tell Zimbra to start after syslog if it is not. See the edits to /etc/init.d/zimbra for details.
    Quick check: Look in /etc/init.d/rc3.d/ and make sure that the S??zimbra file has a larger number than the S??syslog file. This tells zimbra to wait until the syslog has loaded before starting.

Again -- this depends on both the OS and version of Zimbra you are using.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys thanks for the replies,
    I am using SLES 9 (SP3) with zimbra 4.5 (latest avail for download)

I appear not to be running syslog-ng just syslog:
    1) See if /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf has a few Zimbra entries in it. If not, you will need to add those (see the other thread for details).
    It was a lower number (S02zimbra S06 Syslog) I changed zimbra to start after named

Quick check: Look in /etc/init.d/rc3.d/ and make sure that the S??zimbra file has a larger number than the S??syslog file. This tells zimbra to wait until the syslog has loaded before starting.
    I have to wait to see if this works, but thanks for your help!