Thread: Using hostname for multiple instances

Default Using hostname for multiple instances

Hello,

I'm sorry if I don't make much sense or if this subject has been covered in the past. I am unable to find the answer after hours of searching so I thought I would ask.

I am wanting to set up a small collaboration service for our local sports teams. I want them to be able to get to the zimbra server by using XXX.domain.org or YYY.domain.org and have them able to use separate instances of of zimbra so that there are separate GAL, Address Books, Calendars, Groups, etc.

Is it even necessary? Can one instance or one domain be used to keep multiple organizations separate on the same server?

Maybe I am not being clear, I will be glad to answer any questions to clarify, just ask.

I know that I can set up multiple domain names in the zimbra admin UI, but I don't think this is what I am looking for.

I am in the process of setting up my DNS records and can use wildcards for the hostname to resolve to the same domain name, but I have not figured out how to make Zimbra work the way I want. Is it even possible?

I plan on using Zimbra 8.0.6 on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS

I am hoping to plan this out right so I don't have a bunch of headaches after it is up and running.

Hi,

What I would suggest is to host 2 domains so that would make easier to have separate GALs, groups, etc. As you said, you can do this using one single Zimbra server.

So:
    1 domain would be xxx.domain.org
    2 domain would be yyy.domain.org

GALs and authentication, should point to different sources (for instance, xxx domain could be internal and yyy could be external...)

Add the virtual hosts you want to make it easier to users to validate and the corresponding DNS records.

Check out postfix "masquerade" functionality and also "canonicals" for further tunning.

This is the option I would suggest as it's the only one I can think of...I don't know if other option exist. Let's see what the rest of the community has to say

Regards,
    Sebas