Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error Upgrading from M1

Hybrid View

Default Error Upgrading from M1

I have several problems after upgrading from M1 :

1- user login
    I get the following
    "
    An unknown application error has occurred. Please correct any errors and retry. If the problem persists, please contact your System Aministrator. (INVALID_PDU)
    "

2- Trying to browse to the admin page returns an empty page, no login
    dialog.

3- Trying to access the imap server from an email client, hangs, no return

4 - I see this in the logs

*** pls help
    Thanks

Diego B

I got this from zimbra.log

2005-11-15 14:28:28,874 INFO [main] [] soap - Servlet SoapServlet starting up
    2005-11-15 14:28:28,901 INFO [main] [] soap - Adding service AccountService to SoapServlet
    2005-11-15 14:28:28,962 INFO [main] [] soap - Adding service MailService to SoapServlet
    2005-11-15 14:28:29,065 INFO [main] [] misc - version=3.0.0_M2_740.RHEL4 release=20051114171614 builddate=20051114-1719 buildhost=build.liquidsys.com
    2005-11-15 14:28:29,118 INFO [main] [] DbPool - Setting mysql connector property: maxActive=10
    2005-11-15 14:28:29,118 INFO [main] [] misc - Setting mysql connection pool size to 10
    2005-11-15 14:28:35,495 ERROR [main] [] Versions - DB Version Mismatch: ours="21" from DB="18"
    2005-11-15 14:28:35,497 FATAL [main] [] soap - Unable to start servlet
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Data version mismatch. Reinitialize or upgrade the backend data store.
    at com.zimbra.cs.util.Zimbra.startup(Zimbra.java:89)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.init(SoapServlet.java: 118)
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.j ava:211)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServl et(StandardWrapper.java:1068)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(Stan dardWrapper.java:900)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnSta rtup(StandardContext.java:3823)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(Sta ndardContext.java:4087)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInt ernal(ContainerBase.java:759)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(Co ntainerBase.java:739)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(Sta ndardHost.java:524)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(H ostConfig.java:800)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs( HostConfig.java:695)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps( HostConfig.java:472)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostC onfig.java:1106)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEv ent(HostConfig.java:310)
    at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLife cycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(Conta inerBase.java:1019)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(Standa rdHost.java:718)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(Conta inerBase.java:1011)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(Stan dardEngine.java:440)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(Sta ndardService.java:450)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(Stan dardServer.java:683)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalin a.java:537)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootst rap.java:271)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:409)

Quote Originally Posted by incarose
    I have several problems after upgrading from M1 :

1- user login
    I get the following
    "
    An unknown application error has occurred. Please correct any errors and retry. If the problem persists, please contact your System Aministrator. (INVALID_PDU)
    "
    Yeah, I got the same error on both of the upgrades I performed.

I received no information in the zimbra.log file, but in both cases the following shows up in the Zimbra debug window:

Code:
    ode: "INVALID_PDU",
    detail: [undefined],
    method: "AjxSoapDoc.createFromXml:2",
    msg: "Invalid SOAP PDU"
    That error went away after I performed a uninstall/reinstall on one of the boxes. I'm kinda hoping to see the upgrade work on the other though :-)

Thanks,
    -Eric

I think I'll wait to see how your problems get resolved before I upgrade to M2.

Default Me Too

I've had the exact same problems, with one to add. I attempted a restart of the zimbra services.

On my LDAP and Mailstore server the services stopped just fine, but when they try to restart.
    Code:
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException zimbra2.largnet.on.ca:389)
    I did some poking around the zmcontrol script and before doing the startup it checks whether LDAP is started and if it is not it will start it. But I believe it is puking on discovering the status, then it doesn't start LDAP and everything else dies. So once I ran ldap start then zmcontrol start everything went swimmingly.

Now on my MTA I recieved an odd output when I ran zmcontrol restart:
    Code:
    Host zimbra.xxxxx.on.ca
            Stopping antispam...Done
            Stopping antivirus...Done
            Stopping logger...Done
            Stopping mailbox...FAILED
    Error: no pid in /opt/zimbra/log/tomcat.pid
    Error: assertion '-d /opt/zimbra/mysql' failed

Stopping mta...FAILED
    /opt/zimbra/amavisd/sbin/amavisd: no process killed
    /opt/zimbra/cyrus-sasl-2.1.21.ZIMBRA/sbin/saslauthd: no process killed

Stopping snmp...Done
            Stopping spell...Done
    Host zimbra.xxxx.on.ca
            Starting antispam...Done.
            Starting antivirus...Done.
            Starting mta...Done.
    Now I don't understand why it's trying to stop all of these services when it should only be running the MTA service (postfix, anti-virus, anti-spam).

One thing that I'm extremely happy to see is how much quicker zimbra is stopping and restarting, awesome job guys.

Just a quick note to say your best bet is to NOT upgrade. I've warned about this being a beta etc before, and seems like were going to need migration scripts. So best bet is to not upgrade and just reinstall. We know that will work.

We'll take a look at this today and see if it's going to be possible to upgrade.

I was planning a fresh install anyways I just thought I'd go through the upgrade to see what it would be like. And I'm just trying to do my tiny part to help make Zimbra the best it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Just a quick note to say your best bet is to NOT upgrade. I've warned about this being a beta etc before, and seems like were going to need migration scripts. So best bet is to not upgrade and just reinstall. We know that will work.

We'll take a look at this today and see if it's going to be possible to upgrade.
    Okay, it's easy enough to reinstall if that's what is recommended, that's no problem.

I know you suggested that in past releases.

I found it a bit misleading this time around with the M2 installer in that the default is for it to perform an upgrade :-) M1 may have been the same way, but for me, this is my first upgrade :-) I tend to think of default options to be what is best supported, or what is suggested by the developers of the app. It also states during the install "It can be upgraded with no effect on existing accounts".

Perhaps a better default would be for it to perform a reinstall, and if someone changes the default, display a warning that it may not work properly. That'll keep at least some people from asking about it on here :-)
    -Eric

Thanks for understnading. We want upgrade to be the default and for that to work. It's how we use it internally(but we upgrade several times a week so not as much has changed). We will get it there just going to take a little time to work out the kinks.

Default Ok then ... how to re-install ... do I need to Uninstall 1st?

I just want to make sure I do this w/ as few steps as possible ... has anyone gone to the new version on FC3 successfully ... and how did you do it? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrygarcia4295
    I just want to make sure I do this w/ as few steps as possible ... has anyone gone to the new version on FC3 successfully ... and how did you do it? Thanks!
    Not FC3, but I did on CentOS (same as RedHat Enterprise).

Uninstall, then reinstall, it worked great.

The steps:

/etc/init.d/zimbra stop
    Verify no Zimbra processes are running
    ./install.sh -u
    ./install.sh

It's working great.
    -Eric