Thread: Ease of installation?

Question Ease of installation?

Hi all, I saw a news article about Zimbra and have spent a few hours reading their website etc. It looks exactly what I want! However, I have just one question that I hope someone can answer.

I currently use Debian/Postfix/Cyrus IMAP for my mail server. All works great but it was a horrible week getting it all configured and working. It is so unfriendly and long-winding editing all the config files etc etc. Compared with something like Exchange (which I manage at work) it is fair harder. An installation of Exchange is much more straightforward. So, my question is this. How easy is a complete installation of Zimbra on a linux server? I want everything available. i.e. webmail interface, IMAP, shared calenders etc. If it is going to be tricky i think i'll stick with postfix/cyrus because I have it working. However, if the installation and further administration runs like a dream then i'll be switching super quickly!

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

Default Easy

In my humble opinion, the install couldn't get much easier. The easiest is having all services on one box. Basically run the ./install.sh and you're ready to go. As long as your DNS is configured properly. But if you want to be very sure everything will go smooth as silk start with a freshly installed system.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-Daniel
    Hi all, I saw a news article about Zimbra and have spent a few hours reading their website etc. It looks exactly what I want! However, I have just one question that I hope someone can answer.
    Howdy,

I agree with rsharpe that a Zimbra install is easy. You type a command, answer some questions, then you're all set.

However, that's based on an install on a RedHat based distro (RedHat Enterprise, Fedora, or CentOS). That's where Zimbra is currently supported.

You *can* get it working on Debian, and there are a number of folks who did that. The following post contains instructions on how to do so:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=22

Have a good one,
    -Eric

Wow! Sounds too good to be true. I plan on installing FC4 on the server beforehand. So, what about configuring all the virtual domains (i need to host more than 1 email domain) and user accounts, lists, IMAP config etc? Can this be done via a webadmin interface or does it have to be done via config files like postfix/cyrus?

Thanks

Default configuration

It was our goal to completely get the admin out of the business of editing postfix config files - and cyrus imap isn't even used

When you install, you'll create an initial domain - subsequent domains are created via the web UI. All the postfix configuration will be taken care of wrt accepting email, routing, etc.

Wow! Sounds too good to be true. I plan on installing FC4 on the server beforehand. So, what about configuring all the virtual domains (i need to host more than 1 email domain) and user accounts, lists, IMAP config etc? Can this be done via a webadmin interface or does it have to be done via config files like postfix/cyrus?
    Blast, I knew I should have been more specific :-)

The binaries are meant for FC3 and RHEL4 (which also works with CentOS 4).

*But*, you may still be in luck :-)

There are simple instructions for making it work in FC4, even easier than Debian :-) The binaries still work, you just need to make a couple of links (most of the rest of the stuff in there is recommended regardless of distro).

You can see the instructions here:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=fedora

Have a good one,
    -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    It was our goal to completely get the admin out of the business of editing postfix config files - and cyrus imap isn't even used

When you install, you'll create an initial domain - subsequent domains are created via the web UI. All the postfix configuration will be taken care of wrt accepting email, routing, etc.

:-O Wow! that sounds great, then I am off to plan the migration! I cannot believe that I will not have to edit a single config file. But, if I do...

"I'll Be Back"

;-) Thanks

So, what about configuring all the virtual domains (i need to host more than 1 email domain) and user accounts, lists, IMAP config etc?
    Everything can be done via the "admin console" as I call it. The one thing that isn't supported as of yet in the console are mailing lists, but that is really no biggy. I dropped in mlmmj and it worked instantly.

Oh and just as a side note I installed M2 not a few minutes ago and it is working like a dream, a great dream! Way to go guys, this is a great product keep up the good work, and I'll definitely be putting the word out about Zimbra!

Quote Originally Posted by rsharpe View Post
    I dropped in mlmmj and it worked instantly.
    Hi, would you please tell how you configured zimbra and mlmmj to work together. I just installed mlmmj successfully and initiated a new mail list under /var/spool/. I have added the appropriate command to /etc/aliases and I can recieve automatic mails from test mail list. But when I tried to send a mail to mail list, the mail bounces back to myself and eventually get returned to the sender.

What could be the problem here?

Feb 13 15:17:31 47D7A30002: client=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Feb 13 15:17:31 47D7A30002: message-id=<47B3089A.1020505@yyy.com>
    Feb 13 15:17:31 47D7A30002: from=, size=1328, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Feb 13 15:17:31 disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Feb 13 15:17:31 63A3E30001: to=, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1], delay=5, status=sent (250 Ok: queued as 47D7A30002)
    Feb 13 15:17:31 63A3E30001: removed
    Feb 13 15:17:31 47D7A30002: to=, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (yyy.com)
    Feb 13 15:17:31 570C030001: message-id=<20080213151731.570C030001@hostname.yyy.com>
    Feb 13 15:17:31 570C030001: from=<>, size=3199, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Feb 13 15:17:31 47D7A30002: removed
    Feb 13 15:17:31 570C030001: to=, relay=hostname.yyy.com[192.168.34.1], delay=0, status=sent (250 2.1.5 OK)
    Feb 13 15:17:31 570C030001: removed