Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade M1 -> M2? .... Yes!!

Exclamation Upgrade M1 -> M2? .... Yes!!

Dear KevinH and the rest of the Zimbra crew,
    You guys are great! It's about time someone stepped up to M$. We (The Linux Community) are excited about your achievments, and I know that my company will support you.

I've been testing out the Open Source Version. I know that there are bugs, and want to know what the common one's are before I proceed any further.

I noticed you mentioned that KevinH has said that it's a good idea to do a clean install as opposed to an upgrade.

So my question is (please don't make me loose my data): Should ) try to upgrade, or should I wait until migration scripts are released?

Thanks!

Wait. We are going to write an M1 -> M2 upgrade script. We plan to have this for you guys to try next week. Really are sorry about not warning folks.

I'd feel the same way. We had made a decision to not write upgrade scripts this time. Wanted to get this code out to you all and show off the new features. We were wrong. We should have waited. We should have warned you. I've update the various release announcements. We are also going to update the download page. Try to at warn folks, who have yet to download the new code.

Again sorry about the trouble and we appreciate the support and criticisms you've given us so far. It's what makes us better and will help Zimbra grow stronger in the future.
    Last edited by KevinH; 11-16-2005 at 09:36 AM.

Default Hey

Quit being sorry! heh.

Everyone who knows anything, knows that Beta's have bugs. The fact that it says it's a beta should be warning enough.

I just hope you guys don't get burned out. I notice you're in here every day answering questions-and you do good, might I add. I just hope you have enough steam to keepin going.

Good things might happen if you do.

Anyway, Thanks for all you do.

John in Arizona
    Last edited by jholder; 11-15-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Default scripts

Migration scripts would be great. Warning is a good idea for those of us not already burnt (it's a beta so I can't complain).

For those of us who have blindly chosen to upgrade and currently don't have a working system the most obvious question is:

Can we just install M1 as an upgrade and have everything magically work? I'm guessing no, but it's worth asking...

Will the upgrade scripts you are working on help those of us in this situation?

Thanks,
    Justin.

Default m1

Actually, installing M1 as an upgrade to a borked M2 system *might* work. You shouldn't lose any data, and it may get the system to start again - but I have NOT TESTED THIS.

As for those with an M2 system waiting for upgrade scripts - I'll try to make sure that running them after the upgrade works; this shouldn't be too big of a stretch. (And, if there are additional steps in this case, I'll write them up)

Default I got my M2 working with data from M1

Hi
    After a day of working on the issue, I think we found
    the problems.
    I will get all the detail from our System manager and write them down.

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac
    Actually, installing M1 as an upgrade to a borked M2 system *might* work. You shouldn't lose any data, and it may get the system to start again - but I have NOT TESTED THIS.

As for those with an M2 system waiting for upgrade scripts - I'll try to make sure that running them after the upgrade works; this shouldn't be too big of a stretch. (And, if there are additional steps in this case, I'll write them up)
    I upgraded our Zimbra M1 system and now got an error?

ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException sesame.wdm.com:389)

Any ideas why?

-Dee

389, sounds like the ldap port.
    Was ldap running when you upgraded?
    You might want to stop it and start it again.

Default LDAP Problems? Read this

If you've done an upgrade or fresh install of M2, and are getting the "Direct context" error, or can't get to port 389 error, here are some things to try.

First - check your DNS.

host `hostname` should return an IP address. (Note - those are backticks. Under the tilde key on my laptop, but it's a Mac, so YMMV).

Is that the IP address of your server? If you can't get to your server by that IP address, you'll need to fix your DNS.

Next - edit /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf - comment out the line "loglevel 0"

ps auxww | grep slapd

If it's running, stop it (ldap stop).

start ldap (ldap start)

Any errors from the command line?

Check /var/log/zimbra.log for slapd errors.

If you're seeing TLS errors in the log, are there certificates in /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.crt and /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.key?

If there are no cert files:
    edit /opt/zimbra/bin/ldap
    change the line with
    sudo /opt/zimbra/openldap/libexec/slapd -l LOCAL0 -4 -u zimbra -h "ldaps:// ldap://:389/"

to this (all one line):
    sudo /opt/zimbra/openldap/libexec/slapd -l LOCAL0 -4 -u zimbra -h "ldap://:389/"

Edit /opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf and delete the LAST 4 lines (all start with "TLS")

(Note - if this was a fresh install, perform the above edit to /opt/zimbra/openldap/etc/openldap/slapd.conf, also)

start ldap.

If the problem goes away, you should be able to proceed. If it's an upgrade, we'll be providing an upgrade script to update the db. If it's a fresh install, read on.

Recovering from a bad install:

If the ldap errors showed up during a FRESH INSTALL, you can recover. Don't do this if you've upgraded, since you'll lose data.

After the above process, delete /opt/zimbra/openldap-data/* (leave the directory)
    Make sure all zimbra processes are stopped
    su - root
    touch /opt/zimbra/.newinstall (Note the '.' in the filename)
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetup.pl

Proceed with configuration as normal.
    Last edited by marcmac; 11-17-2005 at 08:18 AM.

hostname doesn't reply with an ip address, it replies with a xxx.xxx.com. Is that what my problem is?