Thread: Backup directory deleted during upgrade!

Hybrid View

Default Backup directory deleted during upgrade!

I was under the gun to upgrade from 4.0.5 to 4.5.1 today and being a complete newbie at zimbra I looked for upgrade and backup information. I found plenty on backup but very little with upgrade. Everything I read just mentioned making a full backup and then upgrade.
    So I did. When I went in as admin to look at the backups I did not see the backup I made under 4.0.5. It was there before I upgraded to 4.5.1.

Is this what is supposed to happen? If so someone needs to put in some bold/highlighted text that WARNS people that backups in this directory will be deleted during an upgrade. Don't anyone say its 'bloody obvious that it would be deleted' because it ain't.

I would expect to be warned of what would be deleted and what would not.

This is all over the docs and the forums. Previous backup versions aren't valid under new zimbra versions, so we MOVE them out of the way so that subsequent 4.5 backups don't break. Look under your backup directory, I think they go into backup/4.5/4.0.5
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac View Post
    This is all over the docs and the forums. Previous backup versions aren't valid under new zimbra versions, so we MOVE them out of the way so that subsequent 4.5 backups don't break. Look under your backup directory, I think they go into backup/4.5/4.0.5
    I do have a directory under backups called 4.5 and I did see it was moved under there. My appollogies, I should have waited until I rechecked it this morning after I got some sleep.

That being said is there a doc somewhere that describes upgrades in detail? Most information I found seemed strictly for install. Now I know the process is similar but I did not see my questions about upgrades answered.

Whenever I searched the Zimbra site the hits I came upon were geared towards upgrading a cluster and not a multi server installation

thanks

thanks