Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: [SOLVED] LDAP, thunderbird and Outlook

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default [SOLVED] LDAP, thunderbird and Outlook

    Hello everyone!

    I had installed the latest OSE edition for debian on a chroot jail on Gentoo, and later on tried the NE always on the same machine.

    I have tried the MAPI connector on a vmware install of win XP, and it works good.

    But the problem arises when I try to use a linux mail client (Thunderbird) in order to sync the LDAP directory (GAL): Thunderbird silently refuses the connection, and the ldap account remains empty: search does not work, and browsing neither (I know this could be normal).

    I have correctly added the account based on this thread, either on linux-thunderbird or winxp-outlook: the only difference is that outlook spits an error message (in italian, free translation) about beeing "Unable to connect to the LDAP server (81)". Checked
    Code:
    zmcontrol status
    with my zimbra user in the chroot, all services running. Checked
    Code:
    telnet myhost 389
    , it connects regularly. Can someone give a hand?

    Thank you in advance, any further info I'll be glad to provide.
    Last edited by tommy; 03-15-2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added gentoo specific and SOLVED to title

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    try configuring tbird with the ip, not the hostname.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Hehe! Ok, I found the reason for all this mess, and the "use your ip instead of hostname" helped me out:

    The /etc/hosts file configured inside the chroot is merely used for zimbra to be able to install inside the chroot; but for "external" (out of chroot) requests, the chrooted /etc/hosts file is not considered, but rather the gentoo /etc/hosts file:
    This file is different in syntax, containing:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 hostname.domain.foo hostname localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.1 hostname.domain.foo hostname
    So first line (127.0.0.1) contains 4 entries, 2 of which are also contained in the second line (local IP); I guess that reading the first line also leads to automatically resolving it without looking for further instructions (next lines)... so not finding 192.168.0.1, but rather 127.0.0.1.

    All I had to do is change my gentoo /etc/hosts to reflect the contents of my chrooted debian jail.

    A trivia: I understand not beeing able to connect from outside via public IP - for obvious security reasons - , but why is it that I cannot connect to localhost (127.0.0.1)?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Because then you would bind on all interfaces. We are moving towards only binding to one, therefore, we only bind to the fqdn you designate.

    Glad you got it working

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Oh, ok! Seems a lot clearer to me now....

    Great work! Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Similar Threads

  1. Thunderbird ldap gal config help
    By steinkel in forum Users
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 09:33 AM
  2. LDAP not working in Outlook but is in Thunderbird
    By rjade in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 01:37 AM
  4. Getting nuts with postfix outlook and thunderbird
    By haensse in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 02:17 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •